Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Wednesday Medley - Thanksgiving & Gratitude


I am happily joining Terri and others for the Wednesday Medley today.

Click here to read other answers:

 


1.    What’s your favorite Thanksgiving food?


Sweet Potato Casserole is my favorite but we have several favorite traditions, such a cornbread dressing w/gravy, dirty rice (cajun for rice dressing), and pink salad.

2.   What’s the happiest Thanksgiving memory of your childhood?

I really don't have any specific memories, but I do recall that while my grandmother was living, she lived with us, all my mother's nine siblings and their families came to our house during Thanksgiving week once or twice.  After her death, we would often visit other family members during that week.

3.   Who is the most consistently grateful person you know?


It would have to be my sweet friend, Sharon.  She has MS, and is currently battling recurring tumors on her skull requiring numerous surgeries and now radiation.  I have never seen her when she wasn't an inspiration.  She always has that beautiful smile and never a negative word or complaint.

4.   If you could thank one person today—near or far, living or dead—for their influence on your life, who would that person be?


Without a doubt, it would be my parents.  Their influence was felt statewide because of their ministries.  It continues now through my sisters and me to the next generations.
Thank you Mom and Dad for your lived-out lessons of faith and unconditional love.

5.   Who’s one person you’ve never thanked for their contribution to your life, but would like to?

My 9th and 10th grade music teacher at a little rural school was the first to encourage me to sing and offered so much support.  Because of her, I was able to attend festivals where I earned tuition-free scholarships to LSU.  I will always be grateful to her for what she meant to me as a young, insecure teenager.


6.   Tell us something random about your Thanksgiving week.

Our grandson played in the National Collegiate Rugby championship in Maryland this past weekend.


Western Michigan was a 30 point underdog going into the quarterfinal game against the #3 team on Saturday.  But, they forgot to tell the WMU Broncos this and they shut down the opposing team 31-10 to advance to the semi-finals on Sunday against the #2 team.

An article had this to say about the game that put a smile on these grandparent's face.

"With the front row of Jackson Day," (and two others) "setting the tone up front..."


Due to a snow storm in the area the day before, and the warmer temps on Saturday, it was a snowy and slushy mud fest.


But, if the score had been judged on thickness of a mud encrusted body, our boys might would have won.


With just too many mistakes, the Broncos lost the hard-fought battle to go to the finals, 15-10.


Jackson was kicked in the head in Saturday and suffered a nice cut above his brow necessitating a rather large bandage around his head for the Sunday game.
 
Even after a rinse off, Dad wasn't sure Big Boy was getting into his Escalade for the long drive back to Indiana.

One more!

Our oldest granddaughter, Chandler and her husband Brad, are spending the week in the Ashville, NC area with their 6 month old baby, Samson.

Are these not the the sweetest pictures?




From the Day Family

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Congrats on your grandson getting into the championship!! That was one seriously dirty game!!! Your parents are adorable and what a wonderful legacy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, I think there are a lot of us who had teachers who had a much longer lasting influence on us than we ever imagined at the time. Love the grands/dog photos! Hope you're having a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a wonderful legacy. I enjoyed reading your medley. How wonderful to have had such good encouragement. Woohoo to your Rugby player. That's a lot of mud. He looks happy despite his injury. A very happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. With every Wednesday Medley I read, I am reminded of more events and people to thank! Love your answers today. What a wonderful family you have had and do have and continue to have. All beautiful and very fine people! That makes for a lot of Grandparent boasting there! Haha to the muddy boy!! Boy? Hulk!! Happy and blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, that mud!! LOL What fun that must have been to get so dirty!! Love your photos today and I thank you for joining in on the Medley!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my, that was some mud and it didn't seem to be bothering Jackson at all. Love the inspiration of your sweet friend. I could only hope that I could be a real inspiration going through such a difficult illness. Wishing you and Dick a wonderful Thanksgiving. It was so good to see him last week. Looks like you are taking good care of him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post, Elizabeth, and what variety! From a kick in the head and mud-encrusted players to your wonderful, inspirational friend and your parents. I hope you and yours have a blessed Thanksgiving. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My fondest memories are of when I was able to spend time with my Grandparents too! I enjoyed your answers! Happy Thanksgiving

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.