Wednesday, August 7, 2024

A Summer Lighthouse Hodgepodge

Joining Joyce for another Wednesday Hodgepodge.

From this Side of the Pond

1.  What's a task you do on a regular (or semi-regular basis) that feels like it should be an Olympic event?

I know this sounds silly, but I recently tore my right rotor cuff, so using the vacuum cleaner is a challenge.  I wouldn't seriously classify it as an Olympic event but it is a challenge. 

2.  What's in the trunk of your car right now?

We have an SUV so the 3rd row of seats are usually folded so there is a lot of space.  Right now, there is nothing but a hidden pair of jumper cables.  As we are visiting our Indiana family, right now the trunk is empty until we reload it on Thursday.

3.  Summer foods vs. fall foods...which do you prefer?

There really isn't a difference in how we eat, except we do eat more soups in the fall.

    Would you rather - watermelon or caramel apple?  iced coffee or pumpkin spiced latte?  potato salad or sweet potato casserolebarbecued ribs or roast turkey?  ice cream sandwich or apple pie?  corn on the cob or candy corn?

4.  August 7th is National Lighthouse Day.  Have you visited any lighthouses?

Yes, we love to visit lighthouses and visited two along Lake Michigan last week.


This was found in Charlevoix, MI, a delightful town that we want to visit again.


This may have become our favorite.  We found this one at the end of a very rural road in Silver Lake, MI.  It was built of red bricks in the late 1800's.  I did a blog post this week on this trip HERE.

  Do you have a favorite?

See above.  We do have another favorite that we have visited several times in South Harbor, MI.




It is spectacular during the winter when it is covered in ice.

Not my photo

  Is a lighthouse something you seek out if you're visiting an area known for theirs?

Yes, we delight in seeking out lighthouses when we know there is one near where we're visiting.  And then, we love finding one by surprise such as last week.

5.  Light at the end of the tunnel, out like a light, give the green light, a lightbulb moment, in a new light, in the limelight...of the 'light' idioms listed which applies in some way to your life lately?  Explain.

"In the limelight" probably best fits our past couple of weeks.  Our granddaughter #3 was married in a beautiful ceremony on July 27 in Three Oaks, MI.  She definitely has been in the limelight and rightly so.  She was the most elegant, stunning, graceful, and beautiful, happy bride.  These two pictures speak for themselves.

Rehearsal Dinner

Wedding

6.  Insert your own random thought here.

Last night we took our son and daughter-in-law out for dinner to celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary (Aug 13) and John's 55th birthday (Aug 22).  Where have the years gone?  How is this possible?

We have also enjoyed spending time with our great grandson #2, Jax this week.  On Tuesday, we went to the library which he loves to do.  He calls it "books & babies."  Isn't that the cutest!  He loves to be read to and his Mimzy checked out 18 books today.  He will have a lot of reading ahead for sure.  I'm so glad he loves being read to.



Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

4 comments:

  1. That rehearsal dinner dress is gorgeous! Such a lovely bride! I have never been to Michigan but would like to see some of the Great Lakes, and especially Mackinack Island. Sorry about your shoulder! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, your granddaughter-the-bride is exquisite! And Jax is adorbs; I love the 'books and babies' term. I so appreciate my own mother for introducing me to the public library as a young girl. Hope y'all enjoy every second of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I hate to hear about your shoulder. It seems to be the "surgery of choice" here. I have two friends that just had rotator cuff surgery and a 3rd will have it on Sept. 6th. I had shoulder tendon surgery 16 years ago and it was awful with such a long recovery. Savannah's picture is just gorgeous! Safe travels as y'all head towards home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I would love to visit those lighthouses, and as fantastic as they might look all covered in icicles, I'm not sure I want to visit then! Sorry to hear about your shoulder injury - hope it heals quickly. Congrats to the beautiful bride and I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.