Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Wednesday Hodgepodge

Our governor declared today that all businesses will be open 100% and he removed the mask mandate.

I love living in Texas!



Come join Joyce and others for this week's Hodgepodge


1. Is March coming in like a lion where you live? Aslan, Simba, Elsa, The Cowardly Lion...your favorite 'famous' lion? 


March has come in with rain, gloriously sunny days and cool nights, so I'm not sure which lion personality that fits.  As for my favorite, it would definitely be Aslan.


2. In what way do you 'march to the beat of your own drum'? 


I learned from my mother that it is okay to say "No!"  Because of that, I am liberated to do only those things - activities, projects, etc. - that I feel led to do or want to do.  My arm really isn't easily twisted.


Another way I march to the beat of my own drum, is that I do not feel compelled to be with people unless I so choose.


3. What item that you don't have already, would you most like to own? Any chance of that happening soon?


You know, my wants have been so simplified that this is actually a difficult question to answer.  Not thinking we would be doing any yard work, we gave away all our tools, so a shovel and clippers would be nice.  And yes, that could happen.

 

4. March is National Flour Month...are you a baker? Cookies-cakes-or pies...your favorite sweet treat to bake? What's the last non-sweet thing you made that called for flour?


No, I am not a baker and never make cookies or pies.  Lea @CiCi's Corner shared a cake recipe recently that I have actually made twice in the last week.  It is easy (a major criteria) and delicious.  Thank you Lea!


I made a sauce recently to use over salmon and I used a tiny bit of flour.  We try very hard to stay away from the three whites - flour, rice and sugar.


 5. There are 31 days in the month of March...where were you and what were you doing when you were 31? If you haven't hit that milestone yet, then tell us where you were and what you were doing 31 months ago? (if math is not your thing, that would be August 3, 2018)



That would have been 1975 and at one point during that year I would have been in Egypt loving on this cute little boy with a donkey and enjoying all the sights and sounds of a Holy Land trip.


We lived in Bastrop, Louisiana and our children would have been aged 6 and 4. I was a very busy mom and wife and as my husband was the Minister of Music at our church, was very involved there as well.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 


Just down the street from us is a beautiful nature preserve.  We had not been there, so this past Sunday, between rain showers, we decided to go take a look.


It is hard to believe that right in the middle of the busy metroplex, there are acres of natural, untouched land.  Untouched may be a stretch because there are some paved walkways and paths.  It is a very popular place for walkers, runners and bikers.  Right now, it looks pretty drab, but I can't wait to witness the changes spring will bring.


There is even a beautiful spring running through and the recent heavy rains had it actually flowing.  It may look different come summer time.  Regardless, we are so blessed to live near such a special area in the midst of the constant hub bub of a large city.

A new friend who knows all about growing flowers in Texas, came by today to give me some ideas and suggestions for our little front flower bed.  I can't wait to begin transforming that space and making it pretty for us and our neighbors to enjoy.

May you have a great rest of your week and I look forward to seeing you back here next week.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Libby:
    I really enjoy your answers and thank you for sharing
    your pictures!
    Have a nice day.

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture from Egypt! We are also grateful to live in a state where the governor encourages common sense. Not completely open but we're getting there, and schools have been open most of the year which I think is huge. Enjoy your day and creating your flower garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not wearing masks mercy...just when we are getting vaccines and having hope. Trust me you don’t want a family member to have COVID. Guess they could take away seatbelts next. Sorry but this seems so uncaring toward the elderly...having lost loved ones...prayers to the people in Texas.

      Delete
  3. Love the pictures of the preserve. We live in a neighborhood called "The Preserve" and across the street from the neighborhood is the Moss Rock Preserve. It, too, is lovely and we've lived here almost 7 years and I've only hiked over there one time! I need to go again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, here in Florida we have been open forever now but businesses still have personal mask mandates. Here, it was found to be illegal to fine people so I guess you could say that we have no mask mandate as well? I'm interested to see if businesses will still have Texas folks wear them and how they react. I find that maybe 25% of people here do not wear them most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are days I'm ready to move to Texas! Some days I feel like we'll be under masks and 50% capacity forever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh girl every state should do what Texas has done!! So pleased for you and all Texans. So good to learn to say no. That's a lovely preserve to be able to enjoy. Happy March to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it great when someone who is familiar with the area comes to help with your garden? I am waiting for a friend to come over later this month to do that with me.
    Yay for Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was on PTA and I had to learn to say NO! Egypt, how cool was that?? Love the photo with your children and your random too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad your new state has opened up! I love the ways you beat to your own drum, wish I knew how to do that better. I love the photo of you and your children. That really was such a great question!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.