Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Spring Eternal on the Hodgepodge

Yes, we are springing forward on the Hodgepodge today.  Again happy to be joining Joyce for the questions and discussions this week.

1. "Hope springs eternal"...discuss. 

The first thing that came to mind when I read this were the words to an old hymn.

"My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness;  I dare not trust the sweetest frame but wholly lean on Jesus' name.  On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand, all other ground is sinking sand"

This is the only solid basis for hope for eternity.

2. Last time you needed to 'spring into action' or 'spring to someone's defense'...explain. 


Actually as I was writing this.  Dick had taken his car to the Toyota place thinking the work would only take a couple hours.  When he texted, "Come pick me up!" I sprang into action.


3. Tulips or daffodils?


Can it be both?  I've told you I have a mystery garden because we never know what is going to spring up.



Today we discovered a tiny little white tulip under one of our outdoor chairs.


The little patch of daffodils have been such a joy.


I know you didn't ask, but just let me show another surprise that popped up this past week - Native Iris.  I love them.


   baby birds or baby bunnies?  I see more baby birds than bunnies, besides bunnies grow up to be rabbits.


The cherry tree or the dogwood tree?   Dogwood

Jelly beans or peeps?  Neither

March madness or spring training?  Spring training

Peas or carrots?   Carrots


4. I read an article here on the South's best cities on the rise. They are-Baton Rouge Louisiana, Fayetteville Arkansas, Greenville South Carolina, Huntsville Alabama, Lexington Kentucky, Norfolk Virginia, Tulsa Oklahoma, Waco Texas, Wilmington North Carolina, and Winston-Salem North Carolina. Of the cities listed how many have you seen in person? Which one on the list would you most like to see? Have you spent much time in the southern states (USA)? Any spring road trips on your calendar? 


I have been to the following and am in fact going to be in Baton Rouge, Louisiana next week.  The others are:


Fayetteville Arkansas, Greenville South Carolina, Lexington Kentucky,  Tulsa Oklahoma, Waco Texas


I would most like to see Winston-Salem, NC


I was born and raised in the south and have never lived anywhere else.


I will be leaving on Sunday to spend a few days with my sisters in Cajun land in Louisiana.  That will probably be my farthest road trip this spring.


5. Tell us how your outdoor space needs sprucing up this spring?


I have already written about our landscaping the front flower bed and all that is going to entail; however, we learned this week that there is solid limestone beneath the 10-12 inches of top soil.  That is going to make planting a whole new challenge.



Post winter storm and before plant removal



Today, after dead plants removed.  Fortunately, the HOA took care of the removal and will do the replanting eventually.  They only have thousands of plants to replace.  So, there will be lots of sprucing up going on here this spring.



This was only one of the many, many piles of dead plants waiting to be shredded into mulch.  Yes, it will be a huge and expensive undertaking.


 Which do you enjoy more (or hate the least-ha!) yard work or house work?

I actually enjoy both

 

6. Insert your own random thought here. 


While we're talking about the outdoors and sprucing things up,


I found this on half-price at Hobby Lobby this week and thought it would brighten up the otherwise dull front door.



This beautiful planter was an estate sale find last weekend.




Is it not gorgeous and definitely brightens up the front entry.


Speaking of bunnies and brightening things up! Hand painted Fitz & Floyd "Bunnies and Blooms."

If you love outstanding vintage and antique glassware pieces, you must check out my daughter's Instagram page.  She has finds there you won't find anywhere else, and trust me, the prices are the best.

@curated_by_christy


Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

11 comments:

  1. Our only hope is our Savior! I prefer the old hymns to some of the more contemporary music (I use the term loosely).

    You are so right about cute little bunnies turning into rabbits! The dogs seem to keep the rabbit population away from our yard and gardens. The cottontails seek sustenance in someone else's yard. Would you be allowed to paint your front door? The Urban Farmer's mother lived in a condo complex that was run by a little man who thought he was better than he actually was. "Don't do this, oh no you can't do that". Your condo is roomy and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new wreath on the door!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you got quite a bit of yardwork done; it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your 'hope' answer! Oh my look at all those dead plants. That's great that your HOA picks the dead brush up for you. Love half off at Hobby Lobby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your answer for Hope. Those flowers are a nice surprise for you. Enjoy your trip. Oh my, that is a lot of dead bushes. I love the door wreath and the planter is beautiful. That platter is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your wreath and planter! I have a beautiful front door, but it is not made for wreath hanging. We manage a Christmas wreath but it requires a ladder, fishing line and a little bit of swearing to make it happen : ) We're spending Easter with the newlyweds and my daughter told me she just bought a cute Easter wreath at Michaels. I'm excited to see their house in person. Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your answers and your beautiful pictures.
    Have a great day.

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great answer to #1. Know your new landscape will be lovely and what a pile of old landscape bushes to grind up. Happy rest of the week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your #1 answer! Gosh that is a huge undertaking with all those bushes to grind into mulch.
    Pretty wreath

    ReplyDelete
  10. So nice to see flowers, in our area we aren't anywhere near seeing them.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.