Saturday, March 2, 2019

Saturday 9: Come Saturday Morning



It's Saturday and time to join Samantha for some Saturday questions based on a song and its vocalists.

I remember this song and The Sandpipers quiet well and fondly.  I really did like their sound and most of their songs, especially Try to RememberTodayBeyond the Sea and Guantanamera.  And what teenager or young adult female didn't cry a few tears while listening to Softly As I Leave You or Never Say Goodbye.  Click on these links to take you back to the 60's.  There are so many others you will remember as well and if you aren't familiar with them, you will want to be.  Trust me!


Come Saturday Morning





Saturday 9: Come Saturday Morning (1969)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) What are your plans for this Saturday morning?

I really don't have plans for this Saturday morning other than to do the regular routine.

2) In this song, a man sings of going away for the day with a friend. Where did you go on your last day trip?


It was actually a 3-day road trip.  I went to spend the night with my sister near Baton Rouge, then to Lafayette to be at the hospital while my sister-in-law had surgery.  Afterward, I drove further south to New Iberia where I spent the night and visited with a long-time friend.



By the way, New Iberia is the home of Avery Island where Tabasco Sauce is made and where we lived for the first 11 months of our marriage.

3) The lyrics say, "we will remember long after Saturday's gone." What's something you've done recently that you predict you'll remember for a long time to come?


I will remember the trip mentioned above and having three long-time lady friends over for lunch this past Tuesday.  Why am I likely to remember these events a long time?  Because I enjoyed them so much and I spent time with people I love and with whom I share beloved memories and experiences.


4) This song was the Oscar-nominated theme from the movie The Sterile Cuckoo. What's the first movie song that pops into your head?

I can't think of a single one right now.

5) In the movie, Liza Minnelli played Mary Ann Adams, an eccentric girl everyone called "Pookie." Have you ever been known by a memorable nickname? Who gave it to you?

My forever nickname is Libby and that's the only one I've ever had - short for Elizabeth - given to me by my parents.

My sisters may have had other names for me behind my back, but we won't go there.

My grandmother name is Bibby and given to me by my first nephew, who had trouble with his "L's" thus Aunt Bibby.  It stuck with all the other nephews and I thought my grands should use it too.  All babies can say "B" sounds before "L", so it was perfect.

6) Today's group began their career as The Grads. Recording artist/producer Herb Alpert liked their sound but hated their name. Alpert picked "sandpiper" at random out of the dictionary. Do you still have and use a bound dictionary? Or do you rely on the internet for word searches and spelling?

Totally the internet!

7) The biggest news story of 1969, the year this song was popular, was one of the biggest news stories of all time. On July 20, Neil Armstrong stepped foot on the moon. Other than the moon landing, what's the most consequential event that you've seen in your lifetime. How do you feel it changed America, and the world?

This was not a consequential, America altering event necessarily although the world has been a better place because of it.


One month and two days after the moon landing, August 22, 1969 I gave birth to the most beautiful little boy named John Marcus who literally rocked our world and made us better people.

8)1969 was a big year for music festivals, with Atlanta, Toronto and Woodstock all holding famous fests. Have you visited Georgia, Ontario or New York (state)? 

Yes to all three!

9) Random question -- According to some plant enthusiasts, house plants do better when they're spoken to. Do you talk to your plants?

No, I don't.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

6 comments:

  1. I imagine that it must have really been something to be expecting a baby while watching the moon landing. Your world changed in all ways that summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about your day trip with your friends. What a beautiful memory!
    Oh yes, how exciting to have a baby right after the moon landing. Both life changing events! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your answer to #7!! Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a minute there I thought Tabasco Sauce was your life-long friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great songs and your answers have taught me more about you. I came to check up on my few...very few friends to see if they're still here and I'm so happy to see you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great answers. I love visiting your blog.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.