Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Wednesday Medley - Sweetness


Joining Terri for this week's







NATIONAL STRAWBERRY DAY – February 27

NATIONAL STRAWBERRY DAY - February 27

NATIONAL STRAWBERRY DAY

We continue with February’s heart-shaped and red theme by observing National Strawberry Day on February 27. These juicy, sweet berries can brighten up any dish and are delicious all on their own.

*************************************
1.  Given all that information on this 🍓National Strawberry Day🍓, do you have a favorite recipe for strawberries?  Would you share it with us?
I wish I did have a favorite recipe, but I don't.  I don't cook a lot of deserts and rarely if ever cook with strawberries.  We much prefer them fresh.

However, if you want a good strawberry pie, Strawns Eat Shop is the place to go.  Strawns opened in 1944 and now has three locations. Southern Living Magazine featured their famous ice box pies in 1994, 2003 and 2009.
2.  Some people think the smaller, northern varieties are sweeter than the larger berries that grow in the south and in California.  What are your thoughts on that?
All I know about are the large southern variety and find them very hard to beat.
3.  There is a Strawberry Festival right here in Plant City, Florida (next town over from Lakeland) and it is a huge event that lasts 11 days with headliner acts each day.  Have you ever been to a Strawberry Festival?
I have not ever been to the Strawberry Festival in my state but have heard good things about it.  It is April 12-14 in Ponchatoula, near Hammond, LA.
4.  Strawberries are grown in every US state.  Have you ever grown them in your garden?
We tried once many years ago but were either not successful or it was too much work.  I tend to lean to the latter.
5.  Strawberry is the only fruit that has seeds on the outside, and technically it is not a berry but rather a fruit, and would you be surprised to learn that strawberries belong to the rose family?  Do you have any strawberry trivia to share with us?
DID YOU KNOW?
The Strawberry was designated the Louisiana official state fruit in 1980?
Strawberries are on the menu of the official state meal of North Louisiana? Who knew we had an official state meal?  Interesting!
6.  Tell us something random about your week!!


Yesterday I had three of my long-time friends over for lunch.  We have known each other since 1969, when members of the same church in another town, before each of us moved to Shreveport and Ruston at different times through the years.  It was so good to be with these dear ladies and friends.


In 2009 we had several friends over from our old town who had moved to this area.  Unfortunately two precious friends in this group are no longer with us, but this picture brings back memories of times with our long-time friends.  This was the last time the four of us gals were together although I have seen them each individually.



On Thursday, our only grandson will have a birthday.  He is such a dear and we could not be more proud of this strong, healthy, intelligent, personable, lovable young man.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACKSON!
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

10 comments:

  1. Your grandson is very handsome and with all the good qualities you listed, what a fine young man to be proud of. The strawberries you pictured are beautiful. I remember Luby's used to have a fairly decent strawberry pie, but that isn't always my favorite if I'm eating pie. That's neat that the strawberry is the state fruit and always on the meal! Haha! I wonder if Texas has a state meal. Our state fruit is a grapefruit. I prefer your state fruit! Old friends gathering together is one of my favorites and that is a lovely picture of all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a handsome grandson...Happy Birthday to Jackson! Long time friends are the best, aren't they? Looking forward to fresh local strawberries here in May!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had a good strawberry pie since Fables closed here in MI... that one you posted looks so yummy! The pic of the 4 of you ladies is gorgeous! Love all the other pics too! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely visit with friends!!! And what a lovely young man your Grandson is! Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea the strawberry was Louisiana's state fruit! So lovely to have such a great group of friends for such a long time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we are all loving strawberries just plain.
    I am so glad you were able to visit with friends! How wonderful! I love the pictures!
    Happy Birthday, Jackson!! Loved your answers! Have a nice week.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to Jackson! It is so great to get some quality time with old friends! Great picture! Thanks for joining the Medley today! It has been fun reading everyone's answers and I had no idea about strawberries and Louisiana!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice to get together with old friends and wishes for a very happy birthday to your grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to Jackson on skates! LOL Loved the photos of you with friends. The best strawberries I've ever eaten are the ones that used to grow wild in the ditches up here before the township or county or someone started mowing and destroying them. The second best ones were in my garden for the five or so years that I raised strawberries. They were smaller than the typical market ones, but such an intense flavor and so sweet! Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had no idea about Louisiana and strawberries!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.