Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Wednesday Medley: Pet Day



If I had a pet, I'm sure I would be thrilled to observe this National Day to love your pet.  Since I don't I will be thrilled for those of you who do.
In the meantime, I am happy to join Terri, our Friend From Florida for today's Wednesday Medley.
NATIONAL LOVE YOUR PET DAY – February 20

NATIONAL LOVE YOUR PET DAY

On February 20th, pet lovers everywhere observe National Love Your Pet Day.  This holiday is a day set aside to give extra attention to and pamper your pets.  This is a good day to focus on the special relationship that you have with your pets.
Did you know that most households in the United States have at least one pet?  While there are more cats than dogs in the United States, more households have dogs than cats, but not by much. Pets are not limited to the canine and feline categories.  There are quite a few who prefer the companionship of birds, reptiles, fish or rats.  Whoever your pet companion is, we are sure you will enjoy spending a little extra time with them on National Love Your Pet Day and reap the benefits, as well such as stress relief and lower blood pressure.  
So on February 20 (and every day) show your appreciation to your pets!
HOW TO OBSERVE
Bring your pet a special treat, take an extra long walk or give them more attention on National Love Your Pet Day.  Whatever you decide to do, spoil and appreciate your pets! 
Use #NationalLoveYourPetDay to post on social media.
HISTORY
Within our research, we were unable to identify the creator of National Love Your Pet Day.
QUESTIONS:
1.  Have you ever had a special pet in your life?  Will you tell us about it?
Growing up we always had special pets, mostly dogs.  We even had a baby skunk that our faithful dog found and brought home.  After getting married, Dick and I had two special Siamese cats, Neiko 1 & 2.
When our daughter was eight, my parents caved to her pleas for a puppy and gave her one for Christmas.  After Daughter grew up and left home she left Muffin with us.  She was our last pet and we aren't anticipating ever having another one.  We will just love on our grand and great grand dogs who are all adorable by the way, and loved greatly.
Meet Sophie, Skye and Samson
2.  Did you grow up with pets in your home?  What did it teach you?
My dad loved animals so we always had one dog that was very special to us.  I think perhaps the most memorable was BeeBo, our black Lab.  She was our Dad's constant companion and once brought a baby bird, that had fallen from its nest to him in her mouth.  The bird was hardly damp.  She was so gentle.  She is also the one who found and brought the baby skunk to us.
Because our dad loved and valued ALL life, so did we.  We learned so much from watching him that the lessons are innumerable and invaluable.
3.  Do you ever wonder what animals are thinking?
Image may contain: cat
Miss Ellie
Of course we do.  My sister has the smartest cat with a huge vocabulary and you just wish she could actually communicate with us.  I would also love to know what those three dogs really think about all the smooching they get.
4.  Sometimes a pet gets out and doesn't return for a few days. What do you think happens to them when they go on a walkabout?

I have no idea, but in our neighborhood, someone will be posting their picture on the HOA facebook page announcing that the dog is out and needs to be returned home.  There is not much legal free roaming for pets where I live.  And, I like it that way.
5.  With cats and dogs being the most popular pets, what is the most exotic pet you have personal experience with (didn't have to be yours)?
It was certainly not exotic, but I suppose the skunk we raised would be the most unusual.  Thankfully, Dad returned it to the woods before we had to fumigate the house and us with it.
6.  Please tell us something random about your week so far...
Dick and I went to the movie Tuesday afternoon since it was half-price for seniors and was a very rainy day.
Today after Bell Choir, I will go south to my middle sister's for the night where we will celebrate "Love Your Pet Day" with Miss Ellie.
Then I will go further south for my Sister-in-law's back surgery on Thursday.  That night I will go even further toward the coast, to New Iberia, Louisiana to spend the night with a dear friend whom I've not seen since the passing of her husband a year ago.

Jim and Charlene were our first couple friend after we got married in 1965.  They and Dick had gone to college together, so they already knew each other.  Our special friendship has been a blessing for all these years - almost 54 - is that possible!
It will be a busy week, but the kind I so enjoy.
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

7 comments:

  1. Old friendships are the best, aren't they! I'm loving reading all these posts about our pets and how they've blessed our lives! Safe travels, and have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels, Elizabeth. It sounds like you have a fun-filled week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Safe travels to you as you make your rounds. So blessed to enjoy friendships for such a long period of time. I am quite relieved that you let us know the skunk was returned to the woods. I was having a hard time thinking about what would happen in a house with a skunk. Your Dad sounds like a very kind and gentle man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't have any pets now either so I enjoy catsitting for my daughter when she needs it and visiting our son and his greyhounds. Not sure I'd want a skunk in the house lol. Enjoy your travels and safe journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beebo sounds so special! It is amazing how some dogs are just like that!
    I hope you have safe travels and the surgery goes well for your sis-in-law. Loved your answers!! Enjoy the rest of the week.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot about our Grand dogs. Bridget and Clint have 4 Corgi's and of course, they breed and raise them. And, Brandon and Windy have the cutest little toy poodle, Bella. She's inside but a very polite, none yelping inside dog. Enjoy your travels and visits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your pet skunk paid us a visit the other night...I went to let the dogs out and smelled quite a stench...lol! I enjoyed reading your answers about all of the special pets in your life. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.