Saturday, March 9, 2019

Saturday 9: On the Roof


Linking up with Samantha for this week's



Up on the Roof














Saturday 9: Up on the Roof (1979)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) JT sings that, when the world gets him down, he goes up on the roof to find peace. When you're "feeling tired and beat," what do you do to cheer yourself up?

It depends on the season.  In winter I love sitting on the sofa in front of the fire with a book and a cup of hot Chia, or in my recliner in the office watching a Hallmark movie.  It may not be long before I'm curled up with a faux fur throw and napping.


When it's warmer, you will find me on my back porch with a good book, listening to music and drinking something fresh.  This is always my happy place whether beat or upbeat.

2) He sings that, at night, the stars put on a show for free. Are you economizing, or sticking to a budget?



We are retired and living on a somewhat fixed income.  Although we aren't either economizing or sticking to a budget, we are very conscious of what we spend.  We want to enjoy life and the years we have left, but neither do we live frivolously.  We plan to spend every penny we have.


3) In addition to recording this song for his album, Flag, James Taylor surprised the song's composer, and his good friend. Carole King by performing it the night she received her Kennedy Center Honor (see link above). Tell us about a good turn a friend has done for you recently.

I volunteer to answer phones at our church every other Monday.  The friend who works opposite weeks with me reminded me that I was supposed to work this past Monday.  I strongly assured her that I had worked the previous week and it was her turn.  Although she knew very well that I was wrong, she went ahead and worked in my place.

Needless to say, when I realized my mistake, I was not only very embarrassed and apologetic but also very grateful for her sweet spirit.

4) James Taylor and Carole King have been good friends for decades, but they have never been romantically involved. Do you have platonic friends of the opposite sex?



Not really.  My best male platonic friend died a few years ago.  We had known each other since middle school, went to college together, and maintained a close friendship until his death.


5) James was born in the Boston hospital where his father worked as a resident physician. Are there any doctors or nurses in your family?
Both my son and daughter have BSN degrees but neither has worked as a nurse for many years.  My son is in hospital administration and daughter does case management.  I have two nephews who are doctors; one of them's wife and all four children are also doctors.


6) When James was young, his family moved to Chapel Hill, NC. James has vivid memories of how beautiful the area was in all four seasons. What's your favorite time of year?

Actually, I love winter but fall is my second favorite.

7) In 1979, when this recording was popular, ESPN launched. Do you often watch that cable sports channel?

Only for football
Geaux Tigers!

8)  Also in 1979, the Voyager spacecraft sent photos back to earth that revealed Jupiter's rings. Without looking it up, can you name all the planets in our solar system?

I cannot!

9) Random question: Our Saturday 9 Wizards give you a choice -- you can be 20 years old and gorgeous, 30 years old and brilliant, or 40 years old and rich. Which do you choose?

Honestly?  I am all those at 74!
Seriously, I wouldn't go back a single day to be either gorgeous, brilliant or rich.  I am perfectly content with where I am right now.  74, not too bad looking, still remembering my name, and not broke is good for me, thank you.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely porch you have! I would be out there enjoying it as much as I could! Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you on #2! I got so mad recently when a friend of mine told me about his brothers. They don't want their 80-year-old mother to take a big trip along with my friend because it costs too much ... and will cut into what *their inheritance!* The brothers would prefer her to put money into the house because ... well, you can guess why. We make our money. It's ours to spend as we wish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your porch so much!!! That would be my happy place as well.
    I love your answer for #9! You really are beautiful!
    You have lots of doctors in the family! That is awesome! Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your answer to #9! It was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, your last answer was GREAT!!! And, your sunroom looks like such a peaceful and serene place to retreat to. Have a wonderful Lord's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your last answer is terrific. Marvelous, even. And lots of medical personnel in your family.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.