Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Laboring In Love

Join us at Joyce's place to see how all the Hodgepodgers answered the following questions.



1. Something you've done in recent days or months that might be described as a labor of love?

Laboring in love is more like what I do.  Because I love, I do certain things such as wash my husbands dirty underwear and workout clothes, keep the house clean and neat, and de-weed the flower beds.  I really can't think of anything that I do that would be considered laborious and a drudgery.

2. Last time you 'worked your fingers to the bone'?

At the risk of sounding super lazy, I just do not work that hard.  There were times when we were young and I worked outside along side Dick with yard work or doing an addition to our house.  When I worked outside the home, there were tasks, events and occasions that required long hours and a lot of stress, but it didn't involve physical labor.

3. According to a recent survey people named the following ten jobs as the hardest-nurse, doctor, paramedic, police officer, firefighter, surgeon, healthcare worker, bomb squad, farmer, and prison warden. Of the jobs listed which would you say is the hardest?

In this current climate, I would say police officer.  Can you imagine what it must be like to put on that uniform every day not knowing whether you will come home, or what kind of hate and disrespect you will face?

But, probably the hardest job labor wise is a farmer.  Their work never ends.  Sadly, this is another group that gets less and less respect these days.

The one you'd most like to do?

My childhood dream was to be a doctor until I realized math was involved.  LOL!  Seriously, I don't want to do any of them at this point.

Least like to do?

Prison Warden

What's one job you would add to the list?

A church pastor

4. A recipe you make that is labor intensive, but worth it?

I don't make labor intensive food!  If there are very many steps to a recipe, then forget it.  I cook well and the food is always eatable and enjoyable, but never labor intensive.

5. Last job you did or task you completed that required teamwork?

That would be the party we did for Dick's 80th birthday a couple weeks ago.  My daughter and granddaughters and I all had tasks that fit our skill set and it came off without a hitch.  In fact, it was perfect!

6.  Insert your own random thought here.

I hosted a group of ladies for a brunch Tuesday morning.  It was such a lovely and enjoyable time.  Check back next Monday to hear all about it.


This will give you a preview.

We all need to hear about good things around us.  Sometimes we feel that there is little going on that is really good and encouraging.  The following story is a beautiful example that there is still goodness and kindness out there.  How can we also be that example to a hurting world?


Kenyan runner Abel Mutai was just a few feet from the finish line, but became confused with the signage and stopped, thinking he had completed the race. A Spanish runner, Ivan Fernandez, was right behind him and, realizing what was happening, started shouting at the Kenyan to continue running. Mutai didn't know Spanish and didn't understand. Realizing what was taking place, Fernandez pushed Mutai to victory.

A journalist asked Ivan, "Why did you do that?" Ivan replied, "My dream is that someday we can have a kind of community life where we push and help each other to win."

The journalist insisted "But why did you let the Kenyan win?" Ivan replied, "I didn't let him win, he was going to win. The race was his." The journalist insisted, and again asked, "But you could have won!" Ivan looked at him and replied, "But what would be the merit of my victory? What would be the honor in that medal?

What would my Mother think of that?"

Values are passed on from generation to generation.

What values are we teaching our children?

Let us not teach our kids the wrong ways and means to WIN.
Instead, let us pass on the beauty and humanity of a helping hand. Because honesty and ethics are WINNING!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

9 comments:

  1. Such an amazing photo and story of that runner. How correct he is and how nice it is hear to hear that winning was not the only thing he was worried about. Kids have been taught that they should win no matter what and that they are entitled to a victory and that just is not true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't participate this week but many of my answers would have been just like yours. Great ending story! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love that story at the end, so heartwarming! The peek at the brunch is gorgeous! It makes me want to see more. I'm glad you don't work too hard anymore, we shouldn't have to, and I'm sure your labor in love is plenty of work! Have a great day Libby :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for including that wonderful story at the end!! And BTW I don't do s lot of physical labor either. With another hip implant just a year or so away, getting down on my hands and knees in a garden isn't on the agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. True, that is a labor of love! Church pastor is a great addition. I picked Farmer but I mainly want to live on a farm. The story of Abel Mutai brought tears to my eyes. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A pastor's wife is an absolute addition. Thanks for the heartwarming story of Abel Mutai.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful story you shared at the end here, Libby. It is so full of character lessons.

    Your luncheon for your friends must have been truly lovely. The 'teaser' photo with the roses and silver set is stunning. You are one classy gal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the story of the runners! And in a way,that was a labor of love, too.
    I should have picked farmer instead of nurse because I have always wanted to live on a farm (not withstanding the stories my father would tell of milking 100 cows twice a day).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the story you shared. If the world could just be a little more like that and a little less like it is we'd all be better off. I've been so busy with my daughter home, trying to get some of the wedding tasks done while she's in town, that I still haven't read your party post. But I will!!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.