Monday, September 14, 2020

12 Oaks Mermaid Finale

One of the best things I have done for myself was to join a women's water aerobic class in our neighborhood.  This is my second year, and thankfully membership is not based on accomplishment.

Even in this COVID 19 season, we have met three mornings a week without the need of masks.  It has been the highlight of our otherwise cloistered lives.

This year's class is about to come to a close since we have hopes of cooler weather here in the deep south.


So, we decided to memorialize 2020 with some "Esther Williams" picture taking.  If you are younger than 70, then you may have no clue of what I'm talking about.


Esther Williams was a beautiful American competitive swimmer and actress.  In the 1940's and early 1950's, she made a series of films known as "aquamusicals," which featured elaborate performances with synchronized swimming and diving.


On a personal note, I was not a swimmer and neither did I have many of her other characteristics, but when I entered a beauty contest in 1963, nothing would do but that I wear an Esther Williams swimsuit.  It was metallic gold and much more showy than I felt.
But I digress.


These lovely ladies are called the Senior Mermaids of 12 Oaks.


The youngest in our group is probably in her early 60's and the oldest is 83, and she is the most agile of us all.


Our normal workout is much more strenuous and demanding than these posted shots indicate.  But aren't we cute! 


One of our favorite songs to workout to, other than Mama Mia is "YMCA," so we decided to show off our skills for the cameraman.

 Cathy, front right is our devoted leader and we couldn't do it without her.

We had a day off this past week and rather than miss each other, I hosted a morning gathering.




It gave me the perfect opportunity to bring out some of my silver and crystal trays and dishes.


We had a variety of sweets, fruits, nuts and warm delicious meat/cheese Italian sandwiches.





These are the lovely mermaids, minus me and one other, with clothes on.  Can you match them to the ones in the water?


Until next year!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

6 comments:

  1. I love it! You really are all so cute, wish I could join you. It looks like such fun. Also looks like you hosted a beautiful get together, I would have enjoyed that too! Have a fantastic week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome. I'm so happy for you. My aunt use to do that in Florida. I love the photos and that spread at your get together looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun post, Libby! I can see on all the faces how much fun this has been for everyone.

    As for pulling out the silver and crystal, girlfriends are a good excuse to do that. Children and men do better with paper plates and plastic forks while we gals like to pretty things up. You have a good eye for that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning, dear Libby! How fun! What a great way to exercise - with friends and you don't sweat!! Everything looked so beautiful at your gathering and no towel required! Have a wonderful week!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Libby - love it, just love it...what fun. You have all harnessed the key to jovial and healthy living, not to mention
    a tasty conclusion to it all with delicious treats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, what fun! Y'all are so cute and the brunch looked so good and I know you gals had a good time. Yes, we are all hoping for a bit of fall SOON!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.