Wednesday, September 16, 2020

An "Old" Hodgepodge




1. What's one thing you learned at the ripe old age of whatever age you are now?

My ripe old age is almost 76 and there have been plenty of lessons learned and ignored.  Recently, I have been reminded that age is only a number and regardless of that number, one is never too old to set and accomplish goals.  See #5

2. I read here a list of foods that can help you look younger-

extra virgin olive oil, green tea, fatty fish, dark chocolate, vegetables, flaxseeds, pomegranates, avocados, tomatoes, spices, bone broth

How many of the foods listed have you tried?

All of them!

How many do you eat regularly?

extra virgin olive oil, fatty fish, vegetables, flaxseeds, avocados, tomatoes, spices, bone broth

 Your favorite from the list?

Avocados

3. Something you miss from the 'good old days'? When were the good old days anyway?

I think the 'good old days' are those, in my estimation, that were better than the current time for whatever reason.  For me, the 'good old days' could be those of my childhood when life was only good and happy.  I miss the innocence and lack of concern for what the future held.

4. What are two or three of the most rewarding things to be found in growing older?

1.  The lack of need for any pretense
2.  The reality that this is not my forever home
3.  Seeing my children become remarkable, productive, Christian parents and spouses, with amazing children of their own

5. What's your favorite part of your life right now?



That I am healthy enough to enjoy doing things I enjoy.
I won my category in the 90 Day walking challenge our church sponsored, by walking 463.6 miles.  I actually "walked" across the state and back again and never left my neighborhood.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

Speaking of Louisiana, I recently saw a list of silly sayings that will only make sense if you're from Louisiana.  Growing up in Cajun land, most of these are words and phrases I grew up hearing and using.  Would you ever use them?

1.  Make Groceries - Means you need to go to the grocery store

2.  Dressed - If you want lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and mayo on your po-boy or burger

3.  Save the dishes - Put them away or do the dishes.  "Save the clothes" means the same thing.

4.  Pass a good time - Having  a great time!

5.  Fixin' To - Actually, we use this a lot and it means about to or going to.... eat some of the gumbo, etc.

6.  Laissez les bon temps rouler - Let the good times roll!

7.  Lagniappe - (Lan-yap) Means "a little something extra"

8.  Cher - Pronounced "sha" and most Cajun women say "Oh my Cher bebe!" This is a common phrase for calling someone "dear" or "sweet one."

9.  Fais-do-do - This would be a good old fashioned Cajun dance party.  


Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on winning! That is quite a task. I was just thinking about having my granddoll work on a walking program to see if we could "walk" the entire width of our state, but not sure how to track where our walk has taken us each day. I have only heard one of these says and that is fixin to. I say that quite often! I have never made it to Louisiana, but it is on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the 90 day walking challenge! I love the list in your random thought. I had an old blogging friend who used some of those phrases often, sure makes me miss her too. Some I'd never heard but they are all very cute! Happy Wednesday Libby :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Libby. Almost 76 never looked so good! I loved your list of Louisiana sayings. When I was in high school, I went on exchange to a Catholic girls school in Opelousas. I felt like I was learning a new language! Hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opelousas was right in the middle of my old stomping grounds, and yes, you would have heard a new language for sure.

      Delete
  4. Love your answer for #1. I do like those food items but I can't say that they have made me look younger. Yes, our childhoods were the good old days! Way to go on winning in your category at church. Love your random. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Libby, I enjoyed all of your responses to the Hodgepodge today, but the real prize was the translation of those Louisiana sayings. I truly would not have guessed most of them. That was very interesting reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on all of that walking you did! You look at least 20 years younger than you are! I love your answer to #4. I like my burger dressed. Is that the correct way of saying that? So fun to learn different sayings from different parts of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post made me smile tonight.
    Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo on the challenge - that's amazing! Great post, loved the Louisiana silly sayings. I think each region can come up with a list of their own. My dear Guamanian friend, whenever she asked one of the kids to fetch something would always say "Go, fen, find my purse" or "Go, fen, put this away". I finally asked, what's a fen? I don't think it had a definition!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on that LONG walk!
    When my parents lived for a couple of years in So Carolina, they learned the term, "carry him to..." which met in west coast language "drive or take him to..." Have you ever heard someone from the Pacific North West say, "I live in WORSHington", or "Go WORSH your hands"?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you walking across your state! I think we're never too old to do many things, but maybe not everything we'd like to do. I recognized some of the sayings, 'fixin to' is popular across the south I think, but I've never heard save the dishes before. That's a new one for me. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.