Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Surviving the Hodgepodge


For some reason, I forgot all about doing the Hodgepodge until 11:00 p.m. last night, so here I am with a very late Wednesday morning post.

But if you want to see how the earlier bloggers answered their questions, then hop over to Joyce's Wednesday Hodgepodge.


1. What's something you resolved to do this year? Have you done it?


I went back and looked at one of my January posts where I listed some things I wanted to work on in 2020.  Let's see how I've done so far.

I have started spending time doing a morning devotional that requires discipline.  I have not been consistent with this.  I also want to focus on my painting and try to develop a style that brings me enjoyment and best uses my abilities.  Nope, I haven't painted one single thing.  My blogging needs a new focus this year as well.  Same old, same old so far.  I also want to focus on letting go of expectations of others.  This of course is an on-going focus for me.  This may be the only thing I've even come close to accomplishing, but always a work in progress.

2. Where do you go to find quietude?


These days it isn't difficult to find that, even with Dick in the house 24/7.  We have both been able to find our own quietude and space.  I am either in the office with my laptop or a book, or on the back porch with the outside sounds of the bubbling water fountain and birds.  My daily walks also provide a sense of quietude as I am normally by myself.  I also believe that a sense of quietude comes from being content in whatever state one finds oneself.  And content I am!

3. A friend asked this question on her Facebook page and said I could borrow it for the Hodgepodge...you're only allowed to buy 5 things at the grocery store, and all must start with the first letter of your first name. Whatcha' buying?

"L" for Libby - Lettuce, Lemons, Lentils, Lasagna, Leeks

4. The television show Survivor, the Gloria Gaynor song 'I Will Survive', survival mode, survival of the fittest...pick one and discuss.


"As long as I know how to love, I will live and I will survive!"

I don't look at these days as just surviving.  In many ways we are thriving.  Dick and I are spending more quality time together and enjoying each other more than we ever have.  We are accomplishing some things inside and outside together.  We have learned we can be flexible and enjoy just being close by each other while in separate rooms.  We have become even more grateful for our family and friends and each other.  As long as we have love we will not only survive but thrive.

5. Share a favorite quote or saying about strength.

"You'll never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."

6. Insert your own random thought here.


Our son will be opening the doors to his new rehab hospital after passing the inspectors inspection today.  It is a beautiful new building and staffed with some amazing healthcare providers not to mention an outstanding CEO.


This will be wonderful place of healing for Northern Indiana.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

11 comments:

  1. How wonderful that your son is opening the rehab hospital. Stay healthy, Libby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading your answers today! Especially #1 -- I think this is a great time to stop and evaluate how we have done so far with our goals for 2020. As I looked mine over, I found that I had only made progress with a couple of them.

    Your back porch sounds like the perfect place for quietude. I love to be on mine too, but it's still a little too chilly up here in NH for that. We woke up to a half inch of snow this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it is warming up so walks of quietude can be pleasant. Congratulations to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to your son for opening up the Rehab hospital so much needed after illness and surgery.
    Walking is so refreshing.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe a lot of people are having trouble keeping their focus on things during this time of isolation. Glad you are getting out and walking. Great answers with the letter "L." Way to go on thriving. Great quote and congratulations to your son. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tell some of my friends whose husbands still work, but are now at home that this is a glimpse into retirement and you figure out how to make it work. I think it's okay to manage day to day things without knocking out big projects. It's an odd time and for some ticking off a long to do list makes them feel better. For others the space to read and rest is just as helpful. Some days I have laser like focus and other days I know I need to just get my book and go read. I am enjoying not having anywhere to go a little bit too much I think : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your answer on thriving not surviving. Congratulations to your son on opening up a rehab center. That is quite an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great answers and we both had the letter "L." I had no idea that John had changed hospitals, guess I missed that somewhere. You tickle me about your enjoyment of solitude because you really are a very social person. I am sooooo social but I do not have to have someone around or be with someone ALL the time either. But, this isolation has carried it a little too far for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great answers...and L seemed to be a lot easier than D...LOL! Loved your #4 answer...I can relate to the quietude thing and being able to find it and be content in it. And congratulations to your son...WOW..that looks like a wonderful facility. I know how proud you must be! Hugs and blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful hospital! It's going to be such a blessing to so many. Chuck and I have been together (when he's not in the hospital) 24/7 as well and like you, we're content with each other and find ways to be alone if needed. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.