Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Wednesday Medley: Rangers & Dangers


This is a World Day this week, not just National.

Click HERE to join Terri and the others as we answer questions about parks and wild things.





----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WORLD RANGER DAY – July 31

World Ranger Day - July 31

“A park ranger is a protector. You protect the land from the people, the people from the land, the people from each other and the people from themselves."  Kurt Caswell (author/writer)
As I only know one Park Ranger personally, I will give a Big Shout Out to Garland who works at state parks in South Texas near San Antonio.
1.  Is there a National Park near where you live?  
Yes, just south of us near Natchitoches, Louisiana, known as one of the most beautiful small towns in America, is the Cane River Creole National Historical Park.  We visited the old plantations that make up this park several years ago, but I couldn't find any of my pictures.  There is so much fascinating history in this state!
The following quote is from the website:
"The Cane River region is home to a unique culture; the Creoles. Generations of the same families of owners and workers, enslaved and tenant, lived on these lands for over 200 years. The park tells their stories and preserves the cultural landscape of Oakland and Magnolia Plantations, two of the most intact Creole cotton plantations in the United States."
2.  How many National Parks and which ones have you visited?  Is there one you would really like to visit?
I have no idea how many there are, but I counted having visited at least nine.

In California we visited Yosemite, Red Wood and Big Sur (not sure it's a National Park).
In New Mexico we've seen Carlsbad and Bandelier.

Others are Great Smokey Mountain NP, 


Grand Canyon, and Glacier Bay in Alaska from a ship.  Other than the one mentioned above nearest us, we have also driven through parts of the Kisatchie National Forest in our state many times.

I don't know of any particular park I would choose to see at this time.
3.  The Park Rangers are protectors of the environment, of the wildlife, and visitors in the parks.  Is there someone (human) in your life who you count on as a protector or are you someone's protector?
My human protector is my husband and he has done a wonderful job of it for almost 54 years!  In fact, he brought me the most beautiful bunch of red rose buds Tuesday evening.
4.  Have you ever had an up-close-and-personal experience with a wild animal that you can tell us about?
Only a opossum that gave me quite a start once.
5.  It is certainly an honor to show value to this profession by giving them a day of remembrance.  What is another profession that you like to see honored by a "day" of their own?


Ryan Farms Produce - Dixie, LA
This took some thought, but I decided based on my enjoyment of and the short availability of watermelons, and the heat in which a southern farmer has to work, I would like to see a National Watermelon Growers Day.  It should be set in late July.

6.  On this last day of July, please tell us something about your week so far.

Monday was my volunteer work day as receptionist at our church.  It was quiet and I got some reading done between a few phone calls.
Tuesday I participated in a Tucson Art Academy Online Webinar on how to work with paint values.  I also tried a new healthy and perfectly legal cookie recipe.  They turned out pretty good but not very sweet.  They will at least help satisfy our after-dinner need for something more.
Thursday, I am looking forward to having a couple friends over for afternoon tea.  I may even share one of my cookies.
Have a great rest of your week and be nice to a Park Ranger.
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

9 comments:

  1. A national watermelon growers' day sounds lovely! I'm finding I've visited more national parks than I thought because I had no idea some places were national parks. LOL Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures you posted are beautiful and the one of you at the Grand Canyon makes my knees and stomach a little weak! Haha!! I have a question about Creoles. Are they the people that the story Evangeline was about? I remember reading that in English. That is so sweet of your husband to bring the rosebuds, and so good of you to volunteer at your church. We had an opossum a couple of times in our back yard and one night we came home and Trudy was in the back yard facing off with a possum! I remember how scary his bared teeth looked. One of our friends' son is a park ranger in north central Texas. Watermelon! That's interesting. All my family would honor that for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have certainly been to a lot of beautiful parks...lovely photos...lovely backdrop of you at the Grand Canyon...another place on my bucket list. And I do like the idea of honoring the watermelon growers! What would we do with our them in the summer? Enjoyed your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Watermelon Growers Day! smiles. Have a lovely rest of the day and thanks for stopping by my blog. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. How could I have forgotten Bandelier? … Right down the hill from my home town, where we high schoolers were go to 'park.' Glacier Bay is one of my favorite memories.
    That photo of you at the Grand Canyon is ah-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your photos, but really like the one of you at the Grand Canyon! Look at those watermelons! Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for joining the Medley today! I loved all the photos you shared along with your answers! Enjoy your afternoon tea with friends tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glacier Bay. When my friend Spewgie and I were little girls we sailed on Holland America's MS Nieuw Amsterdam III (which sadly was sold for scrap last October).

    So. We would have been six or seven years of age. I distinctly remember the park ranger who was onboard to provide a narration. She was very excited at all the icebergs calving. Which I estimated at one about every fifteen minutes.

    Subsequent trips the activity increased. Glacier Bay currently sounds like a rifle range with that sharp echoey crack.

    And that little pond in front of the Mendenhall Glacier? With the blue ice?

    It is a lake. A small lake, about six or seven acres surface area, but a lake.

    So. Climate change is a very real thing.

    And the puffins are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your photos, and I always enjoy your answers to medley questions. Farmers certainly need a day of honor, hard work with little praise or thank yous. Have a great week!
    Cheers!
    Lori in blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.