Saturday, July 13, 2019

Saturday 9: 1959 Bonanza!


I am again joining in the Saturday 9 blog sharing this Saturday morning.




Saturday 9: Bonanza (1959)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.





1) Bonanza ran on NBC for 14 seasons. Today it's rerun on Me-TV and TVLand. Were/are you a fan? 

Oh yes, my whole family were fans of the Cartwrights back in the day.  I would have been 14 years old in 1959.  Gracious!  I have never watched a re-run that I know of though.

2) The show centers on The Cartwrights, who lived on a massive ranch in Nevada. License plates in Nevada read, "The Silver State." What's on your license plate?


"Louisiana Sportsman's Paradise"

3) Ben Cartwright made his fortune as a cattle rancher. What's the last beef dish you ate?


I made a most delicious meat loaf a few weeks ago.
Interesting side point:  The recipe came from the "Mountain Mama" cookbook compiled by the Creede, CO Baptist Church.  It was published in 1978 and given to us in 1988 by Herb and Betty Willis in whom's home we stayed when visiting Creede.  (See 4th of July pics from previous post)  The meatloaf recipe is also Herb's, and the best I've ever tasted.




4) Patriarch Ben had his eldest son, Adam, with his refined, bookish first wife, Elizabeth. Unfortunately, Elizabeth died in childbirth. Still Adam inherited her love of the written word. What's the last book you finished?






5) Ben's second son, Hoss, was born to his second wife, Inger, who was killed as the family traveled West by wagon train. Hoss inherited her open, friendly manner and her way with animals. Are there pets in your home?

None from the animal kingdom.




6) Ben's youngest, Joe, arrived after Ben married a third time to the passionate Marie, who died in a riding accident when her son was only five years old. Little Joe inherited her impetuosity. Do you consider yourself more spontaneous or predictable?


I'm probably a combination of both.  I crave and thrive on routine and predictability.  I also enjoy some spontaneity as well.  I like to call my comfort zone, "Planned Spontaneity!"


7) Samuel Clemons was a reporter in Virginia City at the time when the Cartwrights would have been there, and a fictionalized version of Mr. Clemons appeared in an episode of Bonanza. Without looking it up, do you know Samuel Clemons' famous pen name?



The famous Mark Twain



8) Hair was a big deal in the Bonanza dressing room. Three of the original four stars -- Lorne Greene, Pernell Roberts and Dan Blocker -- all wore hairpieces. (The fourth, Michael Landon, began dying his hair while still in his 20's because he was going prematurely gray.) Have you ever worn a wig or a hairpiece?





Yes, I have.  The above picture was taken in the early 70's when our children were quite small and I had very long hair.  This was in the day of sitting under hair dryers and my thick hair took FOREVER.  I didn't wear the wig often because it was so hot and I had to wear a stocking under it to keep all my hair inside, but it did come in handy a time or two.



I now occasionally wear a wig especially while vacationing for those times my now short hair isn't up for public display.


9) Random question -- Tell us the story behind one of your scars.



A picture is worth a 1,000 words.



In 2014, I had extensive foot surgery.  Thankfully, the scars are almost gone, but for a long time, this foot was not very pretty.  Because I love not having a bunion, hammer toes and pain, I would do it again in a heart beat.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

11 comments:

  1. I've been tempted to try a wig but haven't yet. There are so many gorgeous ones. Your foot looks painful but I'm glad that it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to experiment with wigs, but nice ones seem so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liked your answers. I have short hair for display, so easy to take care of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a terrible hammer toe and have been told I will prob. need surgery.. YIkes! Love yur answers this week..yes, Bonanza was a favorite show back in the day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a friend that would wear wigs. I thought it was so interesting. My mom wore hair pieces and my granie had wigs. I have been missing out. I have long curly hair though. I think a wig would be hot. Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Planned Spontaneity" … I love that! (I'm so predictable it's sad.) My hair has always been thin/fine/sparse, so when in the 70's wigs became popular I was right there. More so than my own head, they even visited the shop regularly for washing and styling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that foot looks bad. But I am glad it turned out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom has a pretty severe hammertoe, but doesn't want to deal with surgery at 78. Your foot looks painful, and I'm so glad it worked out well for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen that pic of your foot before but it is so painful to look at. I am sure glad it was a successful surgery. I can't imagine your hair not always looking presentable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooohh, your foot gave me the chills! I'm glad it was worth it! I loved Bonanza too, Little Joe was SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonanza was one of my very favorite shows and if I could find reruns, I'd still be watching it. I had a crush on Little Joe! I've never worn a wig or a hairpiece, if my hair isn't for public view, they'll just have to look away. Your foot looked like it was so painful, but I'm happy that the surgery was a success.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.