Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Flying High on the Hodgepodge


In 2014 we took an extensive road trip from our home in Shreveport, LA to Maryland where we attended our niece's wedding, Niagara Falls, Canada, and drove along Lake Erie in Ontario to Dearborn, MI. This is the link to the 9-12-2014 blog post that tells about this last leg and relates to a portion of today's question #1.
Thank you, Joyce for asking the questions that we so enjoy giving answers to.


1. August 19th is National Aviation Day...do you like to fly? Last time you were on an airplane? The date is chosen in honor of the history and development of aviation, and celebrated on the birthday of Orville Wright. Have you ever been to the Kitty Hawk area of North Carolina? The city of Dayton in Ohio (their birthplace)

I don't mind flying, but the takeoff is always a bit unnerving.

The last time I was on a plane was returning home from South Bend, IN to the DFW Airport in early February, 2023.  This is memorable because we flew home into the renowned Texas freeze that literally shut down the state.  We were the final plane to land for an extended period of time.

I have not been to either of the places mentioned in the question; however, we did visit the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn, MI, which houses many of the artifacts related to the Wright Brothers.  My blog post above gives a pictorial account of that visit.

Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village

I highly recommend this extraordinary look at a world gone-by.  We actually spent two days going through it.  Once you are inside, you forget the 3rd world outside the fences.

You can surround yourself with the sights and sounds of a Wright brothers’ flight, or you can sit in the fuselage of several classic planes and helicopters.

This is an authentic reproduction of the Wright Brother's Flyer


The Wright Brother's Cycle Shop


This is the actual room behind the shop where the pieces for their flyer were made.

Wright Brother's Family Home


2. In what area of your life do you tend to 'wing it'? Is this an area you should be winging?

 About the only thing I wing is meal planning.  This has never been something I enjoyed even though it was necessary while rearing a family.  These days, we just kind of wing it and don't make meal plans too far in advance.  Should I be winging this?  It suits our life style, so sure, go with it

3. A favorite book, song, or movie that relates to flight in some way?

The old Southern Gospel Hymn, "I'll Fly Away" will always be a favorite.



and Frank Sinatra singing "Fly Me to the Moon" is also a favorite.


4. Soft serve, gelato, sherbet, frozen yogurt, or good old fashioned ice cream...what's your pleasure? Your favorite flavor? How often do you indulge?


It is difficult to substitute for good old fashioned ice cream.  My favorite?  A mix of chocolate, caramel and lots of nuts.


5. I never get tired of seeing pictures of my great grands


6. Insert your own random thought here. 


I know I'm behind the hype of these two books, but I just read them both and hated to see them end.




Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.