Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Wednesday Medley: Cousins, Aunts & Uncles



Terri chose two subjects from this week's National Day Calendar for this week's Medley.

Click HERE to join us for today's questions and answers.





Family is important to all of us so let's talk about
cousins and aunts and uncles today. 




-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


NATIONAL COUSINS DAY – July 24

National Cousins Day July 24

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NATIONAL AUNT AND UNCLE’S DAY – July 26

National Aunt and Uncle's Day July 26

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


1.  What can you tell us about your cousins, please, or someone who is close like a cousin?


Since my mother was the youngest of ten children, and our dad the youngest of two, most of my cousins were older than me.


This picture was taken in 1951 and is of my grandmother with the cousins who attended this family reunion.  Mary Alice is to my right and behind her is Jackie.

Jackie and Mary Alice were our closest cousins on our mother's side.  Mary Alice was only a year older than me and died when she was only 19.  Jackie was four years older.  My aunt gave me one of Mary Alice's evening gowns after her death which I wore for homecoming and various competitions.  Jackie let me borrow her wedding gown when I got married.  How special was that!  Both of them will always be very dear to me. Although Jackie and I don't get together as often as we'd like, we remain close.



On my dad's side, I have three cousins and we have always been close as well. Mike and Jerry tolerated their younger, girly cousins quite well and we have wonderful memories.  Sue and my youngest sister are closer in age.  We don't see each other very often but we do stay in touch.



2.  Do you still see your cousins and will you contact them on National Cousins Day?

As stated above, we don't see each other nearly as often as we'd like.  We paternal cousins were together most recently at the funeral of Sue's oldest daughter last year.  It is sad, that we wait until a tragedy to get together.

I will be sure to contact my cousins on our special day.

3.  Terri had a favorite aunt and uncle she will tell us about.  How about you?

I have written about my favorite aunt several times.  I loved all my aunts dearly but Aunt Thyra took a special interest in me at an early age and I admired her greatly.

I had eight uncles and loved all of them in a unique way, some more than others.  Uncle Desmond would probably be my favorite because he was Jackie and Mary Alice's dad and we spent the most time with them.  And, I always thought he was so handsome.

4.  Did/does your family have reunions and can you tell us about them?

My sisters and I got most of our immediate family together three years ago.  But, with all our kids living busy lives, and neither of mine living close by, getting them all together is a major undertaking.  We are still hoping to try again in a couple years.


Gin and I joined our Lazenby cousins and their families for a reunion a few years ago.




5.  If you have children, are they enjoying relationships with their cousins, aunts, uncles?

As I said, both of my children live in different parts of the country and no, they don't enjoy relationships with their cousins, aunts and uncles except through social media.  Sad but the way things are.

6.  Tell us something random about your week so far.

So far, my week has been very quiet and slow and the rest of the week should be about the same.

I do plan to get the paints and easel out this afternoon and see what I can create.

Tomorrow, I will have a blog post on a couple old plantations I saw while on a road trip in south Louisiana with my sis last week, so be sure and check back.

I hope you have a most enjoyable week.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

6 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you had those close relationships with the two cousins you mentioned. We do share some similarities in our families...and I forgot to mention that since Facebook, I have much closer relationships to my nieces and nephews (as they do their Aunt Debby) and my siblings. Sometimes social media is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sad that families are so spread apart geographically these days, which makes it difficult to get together as often as we'd like. Social media just isn't the same as a face to face afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your photos and always enjoy reading your answers. Thanks for Sharing!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love seeing your photos! Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, distance is such a factor in families today. And, it was a factor when I was growing up as well. We lived away from both sets of Grandparents but, thankfully, I still have great memories of my grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for joining the Medley today and sharing your photos (great!) and memories of your cousins, aunts, and uncles. Your sister trip sounds great! There are some great plantations in Louisiana.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.