April Love (1957). Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.
1) In this song, Pat Boone sings that April love is a wonder reserved for the very young. Do you think the sensation of falling in love changes as we grow older?
As I have been in love with the same man for 54 years, I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer this question.
I well remember the excitement and passion of early love, so yes, I do believe the sensation of falling in love does change as we grow older. Not that later love can't be all that and more.
2) "April Love" reached #1 on the charts. Between this song and "Love Letters in the Sand," Pat Boone had a career year. Only one artist sold more records in 1957: Elvis Presley. When you think of Elvis, what's the first song that comes to mind?
"Love Me Tender"
3) Pat was extremely busy in high school. He wrote for the school paper, ran track, and acted in school plays. Share a memory of your extracurricular activities during high school.
In our small rural school, the only extracurricular activities centered around playing sports. For away basketball games, the girl's team rode a school bus with the boys team. I remember coming back from these games late at night and wishing a certain boy would ask me to sit with him. I don't think he ever did.
4) It was his track coach who introduced Pat to the new girl in school, Shirley Foley. Three years later Pat and Shirley married, and remained man and wife for 65 years, until her death earlier this year. Who is the longest married couple you know?
5) Pat has lived in the same house for more than 60 years. He once received an offer to sell it for $18,000,000 but turned it down because it's the Boone family home and he simply doesn't want to leave. Do you plan on moving in the foreseeable future?
No and hopefully our health will allow us to stay here for many more years.
6) Pat has a warm friendship with his neighbors, Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne. Pat has mentioned in interviews that he has enjoyed bike rides around Beverly Hills with Sharon. Tell us about one of your neighbors.
Our neighbor is the Clerk of Court for our city and his wife works for the local court system. He also coaches softball and baseball teams at a local private high school and is a huge LSU football fan. He has never missed a home game! They have one daughter and are the grandparents of two adorable grandchildren. We are so grateful to have them as neighbors.
7) Mr. Boone was very critical of Barack Obama, enthusiastically supports Donald Trump, and has appeared on Fox News to express his views. How do you feel about celebrities talking politics?
I think they are entitled to express their opinion as much as I am. It is when they seek to use their celebrity to influence others or take advantage of their fame to deride and threaten, that they are over stepping. Their status does not give them permission to break the law and be disruptive any more than mine does.
To me, it is laughable to think a few movie stars threatening a governor with a boycott of his state will work. They would be the last of a long list of people I would listen to, much less obey.
8) In 1957, the year this song was popular, Dr. Ian Donald pioneered the use of ultrasound technology. Today ultrasounds are commonly used by doctors in diagnosing conditions affecting the eyes, blood vessels, kidneys, gall bladder and more. Have you ever had an ultrasound?
I have breast ultrasounds once a year.9) Random question: You're sitting alone in a restaurant, waiting for a friend. The waiter brings you a drink and the compliments of a member of the opposite sex seated at the bar. What's your reaction? Are you flattered, shocked, embarrassed, intrigued or annoyed?
My first reaction would be shock. Then it would be amusement. It would have to be a mighty desperate man to want to buy a drink for this 74 year old woman.