Thursday, April 11, 2019

Finding Balance



Do you struggle with balance?

Not necessarily the equilibrium kind of balance, although at my age, that can be an issue.

But, balance in your day to day.



I struggle with workout balance.  For years, I attended a twice weekly Pilates class at 5:30 a.m., then tried to balance other workouts with weights and cardio, etc. the other three days of the week.

Now that I no longer do Pilates because of a gym membership change, finding the balance between cardio, strengthening, stretching and weight resistance is a challenge.  But, I keep at it.




There is also the challenge of keeping a balance between my workout life and my at home life.  I come home from the gym to often spend the morning sitting in front of a computer working on blogs, research, Facebook and emails.  Where is the balance between moving and being sedentary?




Then, there is the balance between loving to be at home all the time, and my need to be with people.

Although I enjoy relationships and friendships, I don't have to have them to feel complete.  I am perfectly content being alone.  In fact, I require times of alone-ness.

On the other hand, my husband is very much a people person and his people connections are his source of energy and life.

Yes, this requires compromise on both our parts to keep our relationship in balance.




Balance is important for all of us, so how do we find that for ourselves?




For me, there is happiness in being in my home and doing the things that help create a happy place for us to be.  There is happiness in sitting on the porch in the afternoons with my husband.  There is happiness in creating and seeing goals met and new ones set.




There is also happiness in time spent with family and friends.  Although I have to plan and make time to be with people, I find it rewarding and a blessing.  Making the effort helps create balance for me.




I learned many years ago that it's okay to say "No".  Filling our hours and days with things that don't feed our soul, no matter how good or beneficial, can keep us off balance.  Saying "No" can be a powerful tool that requires discipline and a lot of self-awareness.




We must also enjoy saying "YES!".  Sometimes balance is all about the doing, the letting go and the less serious side of life.  There can never be too much joy or too much laughter. Say “yes” at least once a day and watch your world lighten.  Who knows what new thing God wants to show us.  Be open!




Let us do the unexpected!  Doing something unfamiliar and away from our comfort zone can be a challenge for some of us, but rewarding.  This is not always easy for me and takes effort but I also find it rejuvenating and helps bring balance to my life.  We never get too old to embrace challenges.




It is also necessary to spend time alone.  The Bible tells us in Mark 6:31 to
"Come away by yourselves to a desolate place and rest a while."

Some alone time is required for reflection, meditation, healing, refocusing, all of which help keep us in balance.





I find that the best way for me to stay balanced is to spend time with my Abba Father.  The Creator.  Reading His Word.  Spending time communicating with Him, the author and finisher of my faith.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."
Philippians 4:8



So, let me challenge you to do what you need to do to bring more balance and interest to your life.



What might be required of you to seek more balance in your life?

"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."
Mark 6:33


Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

3 comments:

  1. I do struggle to find that perfect work/life balance! I have put exercise so far on the back burner at this point that I fear I may never have balance in that area! I am either at the gym 3 hours a day or not at all! Thanks - I needed this post! HUGS! Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we all need balance in all areas and I certainly am a better person when I'm "in balance" and saving my yeses for the BEST things, not just the good things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post. You pointed out so many things that pertain to balancing our lives. I do have trouble. I'm hoping that when we move and downsize I will find more ways to balance everything.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.