Saturday, March 2, 2024

Saturday 9 With Eydie

It has been forever since I participated in the Saturday 9 meme and since this weeks song harks back to my teen years, I thought it would be a fun Saturday to join in.

I do not have any special memories associated with this song although I did think Eydie Gorme and Steve Lawrence made the sweetest couple.



Saturday 9:
Blame It on the Bossa Nova (1963)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) This week's song tells the story of a girl who found love at a dance. Share a happy memory from a party, prom or dance you attended.

As a sweet little Baptist girl and a preacher's daughter, I did not dance, nor did we have proms back in the early 60's; therefore I do not a specific dance memory to share.  This did not keep me from enjoying American Bandstand and other teen bopper dance programs on TV.

2) This record was a big hit for Eydie Gorme, which surprised her. When she first heard the song, she disliked it and had to be convinced to her record it. Tell us about a pleasant surprise you had recently.

A friend sent me a huge gorgeous bouquet of roses as a get-well-soon gift.  An hour later I received another one exactly like the first.  Come to find out, the first was supposed to be delivered the day before, and when it wasn't they delivered a second one.  Needless to say we loved having twice the beauty and the house smelled divine.

3) "Blame It on the Bossa Nova" is about love at first sight on the dance floor. Eydie's husband Steve Lawrence maintained he fell in love with her the first time he heard her sing. Have you ever felt a sudden, powerful attraction to someone? If yes, did you act on it?

Yes, in fact, my husband and I met on a blind date and had an immediate attraction to each other.  We met on Feb 6, 1965 and were married on Sept. 4 of that same year.  We acted on it pretty quickly.

4) While this was a solo success for Eydie, she was also known for recording and performing with Steve Lawrence. He was just 22 and she was 29 when they married. Eydie admitted she was self-conscious about the difference in their ages. Do you think age matters in a romantic relationship?

There is no blanket answer for this question.  I have known couples who were several years apart in age whose marriage lasted until death parted them.  One couple I know, the woman is considerably older than her husband and they are a perfect match.  For a couple months each year my husband is five years older than me and I think its great.

5) Eydie was fluent in Spanish, which enabled her to pay for her classes at City College by working as an interpreter. Tell us about one of your early jobs.

My first job was gift wrapping during the Christmas holidays at a large department store.  I actually did this for three Christmas seasons and enjoyed it.

6) In 1963, when this song was popular, The Rambler was Motor Trend's car of the year. It was a 9-passenger station wagon, perfect for families. What do you remember about your childhood family car?


We had a Studebaker that my sister and I loved to sit in and take many a pretend trip.  What adventures that car had.

7) Also in 1963, President Kennedy made a state trip to Ireland. Have you visited the land of your ancestors?

Most of my ancestors hark from England and Scotland, but no I have not visited these countries.

8) The pilot for Gilligan's Island was filmed in 1963. Were you a fan of the show?

Oh yes, I suppose most households watched that show during its run.  I eventually got tired of it but in 1963, it would have been a must see each week.

9) Random question: Crunchy, smooth or organic peanut butter?

It depends on how I'm using it.  For a PBJ sandwich, I prefer smooth.  For a favorite PB snack, I prefer crunchy and being organic is not important to me.



Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

4 comments:

  1. I used to love Steve and Eydie -- they were a little before my time, but I thought their chemistry was soooo romantic.
    Gosh, I haven't thought about Gilligan's Island in years -- but I'll bet I can still remember that theme song. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I met on July 4 and got engaged on August 14. We waited a year to get married and this summer will be 43 years. Definitely watched Gilligan's Island! That was a fun show. My first job was at 7/11. I can't walk into one today without feeling a little nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.