Monday, March 11, 2024

Oh the Trials - Woe is Me!

Have you ever noticed that the thing(s) you can no longer do, are the very things you need to be able to do?

I have also noticed that I am a very clumsy person.  Who knew!

A few years ago when I had to have surgery on my right hand and underwent PT for three months to regain the use of the hand, I started dropping things.  All kinds of things.  My toothbrush, a dish towel, a clothing item, etc.  I forgave myself liberally for these little mishaps because I was able to lean over and retrieve whatever had fallen.  All was forgiven and I moved on.

Now that I have had my left hip replaced, I am denied the ability to bend over or lean too far, at least for another two weeks.  All of a sudden I am reminded that I really am a cluts.  On top of recuperating and having to have help for the simplest things such as putting on socks, to again be reminded that I really am a clumsy person might make one feel a bit sorry for oneself.  Just say'n.

For example, I dropped a dryer sheet and it had to lie there on the floor until Dick either slipped on it or noticed it.  I dropped crumbs from a brownie and there they lay, hoping Dick would notice them before they got ground into the tile.

Several times, I have dropped a vitamin or pill just as I thought I had it in my mouth.  Normally, I would have picked that bugger up off the floor and reinserted it where it belonged.  But not now.  This morning I dropped a Tylenol on the bathroom floor.  As I was using the bathroom I saw our visiting grand dog come looking for me and instead found the pill on the floor.  Since she is deaf, I clapped my hands real loud to stop her from tasting it.  It scared her to death because she thought it was a clap of thunder which is the only thing she can hear.  She thankfully ignored the pill, but kept looking for the lightening and shivered for an hour.

Who drops a pill out of their mouth?  Anyway, that seems to be the new challenge this week - make sure the pill(s) are properly inserted in mouth before removing the fingers from said pill.

On top of all that, I dropped my grabber.  That's right, I knocked over the grabber I keep by my bed in order to help retrieve items that I have dropped and are out of reach.  NOTE:  It doesn't work with pills or crumbs.  Now I find I need a backup grabber to pick up my grabber.

Oh the trials of post-surgery!

All this aside, I continue to make amazing progress and remain pain free.  I am so grateful for my sweet hubby who doesn't seem to mind being my human grabber and sock putter-oner.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

5 comments:

  1. I had to chuckle just a tad as I read this but, I would be so aggravated if I could not pick up something I dropped. But, it truly is short lived and for you to be without pain, that's awesome. Glad for this update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can identify with all of this. Can we come see you maybe next Saturday? or even the next, if that is not good.

      Delete
  2. So glad you are pain free! I so understand where u are coming from! Me being in Dick's place but frustrations of not being able to do smallest of things. It will get better ! Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to hear that you are making progress and are not in pain. So sorry about the issues that have been happening recently. Thankful that you were able to get the dog to run away from the pill. You take care and I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You wrote in a cute way about the trials of dropping things. I bought a grabber a couple years ago and it saves me from bending down two or three times a day. I pick up my dog's empty bowl with it twice a day for his breakfast and dinner and even things like a dryer sheet.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.