Saturday, July 4, 2020

Saturday 9: A Grand Old Flag


You're a Grand, Old Flag




You're a Grand, Old Flag

Unfamiliar with James Cagney's 1942 version of this song? Hear it here.


1) The flag we currently fly, with 50 stars and 13 stripes, was designed by a high school student. When Alaska and Hawaii were added, President Eisenhower invited Americans to submit designs for how best to incorporate the two new states. Ike chose 17-year-old Robert G. Heft's submission from more than 1500 entries. Tell us about a contest you entered and won. (Or really hoped to win.) 


Recently while working on ancestry.com, I discovered this newspaper article from 1964 when I won the title of Miss Rapids Parish.

2) The government also has another of Mr. Heft's designs waiting: one that incorporates a 51st star if another state is added. When you were in school, did you memorize the states and their capitals?

Yes, of course.  That was required learning back in the day, but don't ask me to recall all of them today.
3) Six American flags have been planted on the surface of the moon. Those are undoubtedly the flags farthest from you this morning. Where is an American flag flying near you today?


The side entry of our home

4) This version of the song was performed by James Cagney in the 1942 classic, Yankee Doodle Dandy. Have you ever seen it?

Yes, but it was years ago.  This weekend may be a good time to try to find it again.  We need some patriotism!

5) In that film, Cagney portrayed George M. Cohan, the composer of this week's song. In 1940, Cohan was honored by with a Congressional Gold Medal. In presenting him with the award, President Roosevelt specifically thanked Cohan for "You're a Grand Old Flag," "Yankee Doodle Dandy," and "Over There." What's your favorite patriotic song?

My favorite is our National Anthem, "My Country Tis' of Thee," and think it should never be changed; however, my emotional favorite is "God Bless America."  I never tire of this rendition by Kate Smith from 1943.


6) Though a performer his entire life, Cohan disliked listening to recordings of his own voice. How about you? Do you like your singing and/or speaking voice?

I enjoy listening to what few recordings we have of some of my old solos and ensembles, simply because I can no longer sing.  My speaking voice is another matter.  We southerners have a very distinct and not always pretty twang. 

7) James Cagney won the Oscar for Best Actor for his performance as George M. Cohan. Also nominated that year was Gary Cooper, who portrayed Lou Gehrig in Pride of the Yankees. Tell us about another movie about a great American.

Spielberg's "Lincoln"

8) As a teen, Cagney juggled high school with a variety of jobs, including bell hop and delivery boy, and gave all his earnings to his family. Looking back, Cagney was grateful that he had to begin work early, saying, "I feel sorry for the kid who has too cushy a time of it. Suddenly he has to come face-to-face with the realities of life without his mama and papa to do his thinking for him." Do you agree? 

I certainly do!  I could expound, but the scenes on the daily news each night speak to this truth better than I ever could.

9) Cagney had a rebellious streak. His boss, studio head Jack Warner, nicknamed Cagney, "The Professional Againster." Cagney joked that he enjoyed earning the title. What about you? Are you rebellious?

I did have a rebellious spirit as a young person, much to my parent's chagrin and displeasure, and probably still do to some extent.  The Lord in my life has quelled that rebellious spirit, thankfully.

Saturday 9

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

7 comments:

  1. Speilberg's Lincoln is wonderful, isn't it? I went to the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum shortly after it was released and they told us about how the film makers researched *everything* to make it as accurate as possible and still entertaining. I appreciate that attention to detail. And, of course, Lincoln's story is so compelling.

    The scene that the historians argued most about is where Abe slaps his oldest son, Robert. Some said that, since Lincoln was struck so often by his own dad and because he buried two sons, he treasured peaceful relations with his surviving sons and would never have raised a hand to them. Others say it indicated the toll stress had taken. Still, that seems like a pretty small historic point, which leads me to believe it's a highly accurate film. (Sorry to nerd out on you like this. I just love my Abe!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many of us chose a Lincoln. Great film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God Bless America is such a pretty song. Loved your answers! Have a great 4th of July!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently I missed Lincoln along with Hidden Figures. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting me. We saw Lincoln and it was great! You have a pretty blog. I have been blogging since 2002 at me webhome. I just switched to Blogger this year. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You beautiful lady!!! How cool is that to be Miss Rapids Parish. I liked the Lincoln movie also. We sang God Bless America this morning at Shabbat service. Pastor also spoke the prelude to that which I had never heard before. He also read the preamble and we prayed for our country. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have got to find Lincoln. It somehow never came across my radar. Look at you, Miss Rapides Parish! You were a very pretty young lady. Amen! I, too, am glad the Lord in my life has harnessed my rebellious tendencies. I hope your 4th has been blessed!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.