Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Wednesday Hodgepodge


Good Morning on this last Wednesday in the month of May.  Does it seem possible that we have been hunkering down for two plus months?  We can only hope that all the restrictions will be lifted soon.  In the meantime, join us as we blog together on the




1. The US of A celebrated Memorial Day this past Monday. Does your family have any military ties? If so, tell us about them.

None currently but we have some interesting ancestors who fought.

2. Cole slaw, potato salad, baked beans, potato chips, mac and cheese, macaroni salad...your favorite BBQ side? How many of these do you make from scratch vs. buying from the deli?

Potato salad and baked beans are traditional sides with BBQ for us.  Although it has been quite a while since we've had all of this, it would have been made from scratch.

3.  I enjoyed asking this question back when the Hodgepodge was a regular thing...Lake Superior State University posts a list each year of words they think should be banished from the Queen's English for misuse, overuse, and/or general uselessness. The 2020 list includes-quid pro quo, artisanal, curated, influencer, literally, I mean, living my best life, mouthful (word used by foodies to describe texture of food in their mouth), chirp (basically an insult, you can read more on the website), jelly (short for jealous), totes (short for totally), vibe, and OK Boomer (internet response from millenial to older generation).

Of the words/phrases listed which would you most like to see 'banned'?

1.  "I mean."  Why does anyone begin a sentence with this phrase?  I mean, why is it necessary to explain something you haven't even said yet?

I have surely become tired of hearing the word "quid pro quo", but I certainly don't think we need to get rid of it.  That's like saying, I'm tired of hearing the word "murder," I think its use should be banished.  As long as it is illegal and wrongful for individuals and country, regardless of political party alignment, it needs to remain.

Could I also add the overuse of the word "like" in conversation?  Some young people will use this word multiple times in one sentence.

The rest are not used around me that much.

4. I'm sure next year's list will be filled with words springing out of this weird season we're all in currently. What word or phrase associated with the Corona would you be happy to hear less often?


I understand the significance of the phrase, but have really tired of hearing "flatten the curve" and "lock down." Another would be "Fauchi."

5.  The month of May wraps up in just a few days. Bid her adieu in ten words or less.

May 2020 has brought isolation and thunderstorms; I will miss both when they're gone.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

Ever have days like this?

Source
Trust your Hump Day is full of joy and happiness.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

8 comments:

  1. The term I would most like not to hear again is "the new normal". Either it's normal or it's not. I feel as if the powers that be are trying to brainwash us.

    Hope you are having a great day. Thanks for your answers. I always enjoy reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your picture in random thoughts! I can recall days like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww, yes, I have had plenty of days like the cute kids in that last picture! :) Especially lately.
    Hello from a fellow HodgePodger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still love potato salad and baked beans and like to make them. (Like, you know, they're the best!!!) Haha to that last pic. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love from scratch potato salad, but cannot remember the last time I made it. I make cole slaw and baked beans pretty often but save mac and cheese for a crowd because I don't need to be eating a whole casserole of that : ) Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, I almost answered "Fauchi"! I sure agree with your suggestion of "like" … in fact all your thoughts to #3. Have a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved #3 too and that last picture, how funny!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2020 is one for the history books for sure! Oh yes, I've had plenty of THOSE days! Thankfully they don't last forever.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.