Monday, May 25, 2020

TIME


What is time?  Is it simply a collection of seconds, minutes, hours, days, years?

Or, is it what is contained within those seconds, minutes, etc. that is time?

The writer of the Book of Ecclesiastes wrote, "There is a time for everything." 

I am reading a historical non-fiction account by Rob Kirkpatrick, "1969:  The Year Everything Changed."

The author states that this year, 1969 was perhaps the most culturally pivotal year in our nation's history.  He writes,
"Life does not happen in neat and orderly ways, as if following a timeline, but the story of 1969 is one that develops in dramatic tension, builds to a climax, and concludes in its December denouement."
(Denouement:  the final part of a play, movie, or narrative in which the strands of the plot are drawn together and matters are explained or resolved.)

Another interesting quote from the introduction of the book is this:
"The sixties was not so much a period of ten years as it was a less distinctly defined period of cultural and social change during which America tuned in, turned on, dropped out, grew up, woke up, blew up.
 What takes place in periods of time does make a difference.

For us personally, 1969 changed our lives for sure with the birth of our son, John and only time will tell the influence he has and will make in the annuals of time.

What about today?  This is certainly a new kind of time for most of us who are living through a pandemic for the first time ever.


It truly is a crazy time in so many ways.  I keep hearing things about the "new normal" and what that might mean on so many fronts.  Then I realized that anything other than "normal" is abnormal.  So how are we to face the time ahead?  Will things be different?  Of course they will, they already are.

Will we see these new times and changes as normal?  Or will they forever be abnormal and to be resisted?

How are we spending our time right now in whatever state of normalcy we find ourselves?  Are we stagnant?  Are we simply surviving?  Are we going to be better when this is over, or fearful and dreading the unknown?

Or, are we involved to some extent with life around us?  Are we learning, are we accomplishing things, are we changing?  Are we living each day as the only time we may have to live?  Are we loving and living as if today may be our last?


We don’t know how the story ends. We don’t know when this time of our life will be over or what our country will look like when it is.

What really matters is how we live today.  This today is what we are given and it is the best time we have.

"I Know Who Holds Tomorrow"
I don't know about tomorrow
I just live for day to day
I don't borrow from the sunshine
For it's skies may turn to gray
I don't worry o'er the future
For I know what Jesus said
And today I'll walk beside Him
For He knows what lies ahead
Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand"
Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Ira F. Stanphill


Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

4 comments:

  1. This is so good. We have to remember to make the most of each day, not knowing what tomorrow will bring. I hope one thing this pandemic will change is our priorities. I hope we always remember who the real heros are and continue to show our appreciation to them in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time, although regulated, can be fickle and different for each one of us... Best that we redeem it in the most true and moral fashion and be determined that our stamp left upon it has
    made lives better and the world more embracing than we found it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post. I wonder if I will change or remain the same. I hope to change! I graduated High School in 1969.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thoughts and well written! I hope you have been doing well during this time.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.