Saturday, May 23, 2020

Saturday 9: Memorial Day





I am again joining in on the

To join other bloggers who are answering these questions, go HERE.




Saturday 9: Battle Hymn of the Republic (1963)

Unfamiliar with Judy Garland's rendition of this week's tune? Hear it here.

Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle.


1) On May 30, 1868, President Grant presided over the Memorial Day observance at Arlington National Cemetery. Have you ever visited Arlington Cemetery?

Yes, only once.

2) On Memorial Day, it is customary to fly the flag at half-staff until noon and then raise it to the top of the staff until sunset. Will you be flying the flag at your home this weekend?


Yes, I have kept my outside flag flying on the side entrance to our house since mid March.  It will remain there.

3) Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day, because flowers and ribbons were left on graves of soldiers.  Do you find solace in visiting cemeteries?


No not really.  The only cemetery I normally visit is the one where my parents are buried and that is only a couple times a year.  I did however, visit the two cemeteries where my grandparents are buried a few months ago, but I wouldn't say I find solace there.  I know they are not really there, but are now in heaven with our Lord.  I also enjoy visiting old cemeteries once in a while.

4) The lyrics to this week's song were written by Julia Ward Howe in 1861. Her inspiration was a White House visit with Abraham Lincoln. In 2020, public tours of the White House are available but you must request your ticket in advance from your Member of Congress (House or Senate). When you travel, do you plan your trip weeks before you go? Or do you decide how your days will unfold once you reach your destination?

We do take spontaneous short road trips but always had a destination in mind.  What we do once we get there is not always planned.  But to take an actual trip, we do normally plan the destination weeks in advance.  We will have an idea of what we would like to do once there, but may not always stick to that plan.  We enjoy some flexibility.

5) Judy Garland performed this week's song before a live audience as a tribute to President Kennedy, who had been assassinated just weeks before. She knew Kennedy personally and considered this a farewell to a friend. While the performance was difficult for her -- at one point she flubs the lyrics -- she believed it was important, and could perhaps help the country heal. Tell us about a song that reminds you of someone you loved who is no longer with us.


The one song my dad asked be sung at his funeral was "Jesus Paid it All."  This was his life's mission, to spread the word that Jesus had indeed paid the price for the forgiveness of sins.  Jesus paid that price by giving His all, His life for you and for me that we may have eternal life. 
"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, so that whosoever believed on Him, might be saved and have eternal life."  John 3:16

6) John F. Kennedy served in WWII and was awarded a Navy and Marine Corps medal and a Purple Heart. His brother Joe also served and was awarded the Navy Cross, but he received his citation posthumously, having died during a flying mission over East Suffolk, England. Here at Saturday 9, we consider everyone who serves a hero and want to hear about the veterans and active military members in your life.


Through my Ancestry.com study of my lineage, I know that many of my ancestors served our country in the Civil War, WWI, and WWII.  Two dear classmates fought together in Vietnam and one lost his leg there.


Both are shown in this class reunion picture from 2019.  Their's is an amazing story of brotherhood.  I have a brother-in-law and a nephew who served in the Navy.  We do not have any active members at this time.

7) Memorial Day is considered the beginning of the summer season. Will you be enjoying warm weather this weekend?


Right now, it appears the weather where I live will be in the upper 80's and lower 90's with a good chance of rain on Sunday and all next week.

8) Berries are especially popular in summer. Which is your favorite: strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or raspberries?


All of them?  We probably eat more blueberries than the other three, but I like all of them.  There is nothing quite like a blackberry cobbler.

9) If you could attend a Memorial Day picnic with any fictional character, which would you choose?


Reacher from Lee Child's books.  He would probably not be very good company, but I just like the character and find him extremely fascinating.  And he wouldn't be Tom Crews either.  In my mind Ray Stevenson personifies Reacher the best.


Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

5 comments:

  1. Ooooh, yes on Ray Stevenson playing Reacher! I still can't fathom whoever thought casting Tom Crews was a good idea. Almost ruined the whole franchise for me.
    I, too, am comforted in the knowledge my loved ones aren't in any cemetery; and, in fact, have never travelled to 'visit' them at Ft. Snelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the train -- back in those long ago, pre-virus days when I rode the train to work! -- I would see people reading the Lee Childs/Jack Reacher books. A book has to be good to hold your attention as the car rattles and rolls. I keep meaning to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story #5 is! I love that and than-you to your family for their service. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think many people were happy with Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. Cruise is too puny. He might not be good company, but I bet you would feel safe with him around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where I live we are surrounded by apple and peach orchards so when they are in season I make apple & peach cobblers but I cut back on the sugar since I'm diabetic.
    The peaches are in season in July and the apples start in late August

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.