Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Wednesday Medley: Road Tripping


It is Wednesday so time to join other "Medleyers" to answer Terri's questions revolving around a National Day.  Today's topic happens to be one of favorites.

Click HERE to join the discussion about road tripping.






--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NATIONAL ROAD TRIP DAY – Friday Before Memorial Day

National Road Trip Day - Friday Before Memorial Day


1.  Have you ever done a spur-of-the-moment road trip?  Where did it take you?
Interesting you should ask because my Monday blog post was about a spontaneous road trip to the historic town of Jefferson, Texas.
Read all about it HERE!
2.  If time and money wasn't an issue, what roads would you choose to travel and how long would you be gone?
Our first choice right now would be up the Blue Ridge Parkway into the northeastern states. 
Another trip on our bucket list is out west into Arizona and surrounding states. 
We would also love to go back to California and travel Hwy 1 along the coast and go up north from there.  Several weeks should take care of each of my dream road trips.
3.  When you go on a long road trip, what snacks and beverages do you take?
Our favorite snack for road trips is cheese and grapes.  We also take lots of nuts.  The only beverage we take is water, but Dick loves to stop for coffee along the way.
  Do you pack a picnic?
If we plan to travel straight thru to a destination then yes, we do pack a picnic to eat in the car.
 Does the back seat turn into a nest? 
You have evidently seen our back seat.
If it is just a short road trip, then no, the back seat stays neat and tidy other than the necessities.
However, if it is an extended trip like when we go to our son's home in Indiana for a couple weeks, we will have an overflowing back seat.  Neat but overflowing.  We have an Avalon so the trunk, though large is always full of luggage and stuff; the back seat holds our hanging clothes, chill bag and/or ice chest, camera, laptop, etc.  We truly look like the Clampetts!
4.  Please tell us about something interesting or strange you have seen on the side of the road.
Other than the occasional piece of furniture or someone's garbage I can't think of anything specific.
5.  Who does the driving when you head out in the car?  Do you stop in the rest areas along our Interstate highways when you have to use the facilities, or do you choose a fast-food restaurant or gas station instead?  Not TMI... inquiring minds want to know!
When we first strike out, Dick always drives.  When we do stop either at a truck stop or Interstate Rest Stop, I usually take over.  I do the majority of the driving on long trips.  We kid and say only one of us has to drive at a time that way.
6.  Please share something with us about your week so far.
My weekend in Dallas was so much fun.  I was able to see Granddaughter Ava Grace do an amazing job on an acting audition Saturday morning, and then ride out the terrible afternoon storms at home before going to the dance competition that afternoon and evening.  She and friend Chandler did so well.


Sunday, we celebrated Granddaughter Cassidy's upcoming 23rd birthday with lunch together before I started my 3-hour road trip home.

This week will consist of morning trips to the gym and then days spent on whatever projects I can find.
Friday night we plan to go to the Little Theater to see "Legally Blonde."
I am also reading a book I bought Sunday entitled "2 Chairs" by Bob Beaudine.  Bob spoke in church at Prestonwood Baptist Church about the book and I bought a copy for all three of the men in my family.  I decided to read it before Dick could get to it.
Bob stresses the importance of making one-on-one time with God every day.  Not study or meditation time, but a real sit-down, let's visit kind of meeting time.  I look forward to implementing this.
May you have a great rest of your week.
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

9 comments:

  1. Loved reading your answers!! What a fun weekend you had in Dallas! Cute girls!! Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love the Blue Ridge Parkway. I guess I wouldn't mind a road trip out east. There's so much to see. The photos of you and grandkids are all wonderful. My devotional/prayer time is always in the morning. It's too easy for other busyness of the day to crowd it, if I were to wait. Have a wonderful memorial day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I say it every time, Elizabeth, but you have one gorgeous family. Glad you enjoyed Dallas - my girls have said the storms have been wicked. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Libby, I cannot imagine in any way you guys looking like the Clampetts! That is too hilarious. And I'm with Preppy Empty Nester, as always, your family is absolutely gorgeous! So glad you had that time. Your choices of a trip are ones I want to do. Now I need to go back and read about your trip to Jefferson. I need to check out that book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet you two are the neatest travels on the road, except for us. :o)) I cannot stand a mess, the car, the house, any of it. Y'all should definitely visit the Blueridge Parkway, it is so beautiful and I've been there more times than I can count since I lived just a short distance from it. Joel and Suzy will be moving to Ora Valley, Arizona on the 15th of June. They have chosen that area to retire to. Joel is 53 but was able to retire very young due to a big buy out of his company last year. He had visit Tucson a lot in his work and loved everything about the area so he took Suzy and she agreed. They are big outdoors folks and Des Moines just doesn't have the kind of weather they prefer for their lifestyle. So, guess I'll be going to Ora Valley in the near future. :o)) But, we won't be driving for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for joining the Medley today! I have really had fun reading about everyone's road trips and the snacks they take along. We are all pretty much the same, I think! Your latest trip sounds just wonderful!! One-on-One with God. Indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello from Idaho. No thank you on cheese but grapes does sound good.
    If you have time stop in for a cup of coffee

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is fun to hear how everyone does their road trips...many things the same, some things different...like ME driving my hubby...LOL! Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your answers and I absolutely agree with your last statement about one on one time with God....so important. Congrats to your grand for all her hard work!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.