Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Wednesday Medley: MOTHER'S

It is all about our mothers today on the Medley.

Mother's Day - Second Sunday in May

I also want to recognize the two beautiful mothers who made me a grandmother.


Daughter Christy

Image may contain: Michelle Wilson-Day

Daughter-in-love, Michelle

They are both the most amazing mothers and they are my blessings.



Click HERE to join Terri and the other bloggers who answered today's questions about their mothers.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOTHER’S DAY

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Where did your mom grow up?

My mom grew up in North Central Louisiana in a small town called Dubach.  There is an old saying, "If you're a Colvin, you must be from Dubach."  And she was.



This is an old family home from my mother's ancestry line, just outside Dubach that is now on the National Registry.  Notice the open hallway down the middle?  That is called a "dog trot" for obvious reasons and was characteristic of many early homes in the south.


2. Tell us about her siblings, if she has/had any.



Mother was the baby of 10 children - 3 girls and 7 boys - and born in 1918.  She is sitting between her parents in the picture above.  Her father died when she was only seven, shortly after this picture was taken, so her older siblings also played a role in her up-bringing.

 Did you have a favorite aunt or uncle?


I did have a favorite and it was Aunt Thyra.  She was a devoted aunt and mentor.  I admired her greatly.  That being said, I loved all my aunts and uncles and of course was closer to some than others.  They each had a special place.

3. What is ONE of your favorite memories you can share with us of your mom?

Oh my, there are so many.  I remember especially the times all three of us girls and our families would get together at our parent's home.  Mother was so much fun and we always loved our times together.

She was a devoted grandmother and dearly loved the great-grandchildren she lived long enough to meet. 

After the death of our dad in 1994, Mother moved to the town where we lived and continued to live near us even after we moved to a different city.  I treasure those years spent with my precious mom.

My most treasured memory of Mother is when she was on her death bed.  We girls and several of our children were gathered around her bed, just wanting to touch and be close to her.  She aroused and looked each person in the face and asked them specifically if they were saved and right with the Lord.  She died as she had lived; caring about the spiritual well-being of her family.

4. Please share a picture or two of your mom with us.




These were taken in approximately 1942 a year before she and my dad married.



1945 - Me with my parents


Taken a year before her death in 2005.  She would be 101 in November of this year.

Happy Mothers Day Blessings Quote

This was our mother!

5. Let's not leave out the grandmothers. Share what you will.

My maternal grandmother lived with us until her death.  Since Mother was the last child, Mama always lived with her.  I loved her immensely!  She was the most gentle, loving, godly woman I have ever known.


I love this picture of my mother and grandmother because the deep love they had for each other is so evident.

Grandmother Lazenby

Grandmother, my dad's mom did not live with us, but she would come a couple times a year and stay for a month or so.  We were never as close to her although we loved her dearly.

6. Do you have any special plans for Mother's Day? 

I will be spending Mother's Day with my middle sister.  We will be there for a weekend get-together with all her children and their families.  We are looking forward to that time together.



Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

8 comments:

  1. I so enjoy seeing great old photos...even though I don't know the people, it's so interesting to hear the stories and imagine their lives. Love the picture of the old family home and that HUGE family photo! Thanks for sharing them and I hope your Mother's Day is beyond blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Libby, what great photos and what a great big family! Everybody is so pretty!!! That's cool about the house in the first photo and the "dog trot", which I've never heard of before. You are truly from a very blessed line of godly people and you are carrying on that legacy. How wonderful! To be able to be surrounded by her family at the end of her life was a blessing, but what a blessed thing to do to ask of each of you the state of your salvation. Wow! Happy Mother's Day to you, Libby! Enjoy your time with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos and easy to see how important your family is to you. Hope you have a great weekend away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post! I loved the story of your mother at the end of her life asking about the spiritual state of each loved one. You just know she had been praying for each one throughout their life, too. What a godly heritage you are blessed to have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post, Elizabeth. How wonderful that you had two beautiful, strong women as role models. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post and lovely tribute to the wonderful women who helped shape and mold you!! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Debby, I LOVE looking at 'olden' photos whether I know the subjects or not. Isn't it curious -- compared to today's generation -- how few photographs were taken. And when they were, it was a Big Deal. Your daughter and DIL are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to be late getting here! Thank you for joining the Medley!! I loved your photos and your memories!! Wishing you a lovely weekend!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.