Saturday, May 25, 2019

Saturday 9: Happy Memorial Day




A very Happy Memorial Day weekend to you and yours!

I am happy to again join the Saturday 9'ers to answer questions given to us  at Samantha's Saturday 9 blog post.  Click the link and join us.







Saturday 9: God Bless America

Unfamiliar with Deanna Durbin's rendition of week's tune? Hear it here.

Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle. 


1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. Originally called Decoration Day, this is when memorials, as well as the graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers on this day to show our appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood?

There are none in my actual neighborhood but there are three in our city.

Image

  • Caddo Parish Confederate Memorial (Civil War); Dedicated 1904 and it's future is uncertain at this time.  All legal action to keep it has been denied.  Sad!  Who actually thinks removing beautiful old statues will change history.  


  • Veteran's Memorial (All Wars); Dedicated November 2001


  • World War Memorial (World War I); Plaque Dedicated November 11, 1923

2) Andrew Johnson, our 17th President, was in office the first time Memorial/Decoration Day  was celebrated. Have you ever met one of our 45 Presidents?

No

3) According to the AAA, more than 30 million Americans will hit the road this weekend and drive more than 50 miles. Will you be traveling far from home this weekend?

No plans at this time, but who knows.  We may decide a short road trip is in order at the last minute.

4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food?

In the south, a picnic is not a picnic without fried chicken, potato salad, watermelon and lots of sweet iced tea.


As a child though, we loved packing up pimento & cheese and peanut/butter sandwiches and picnicking together as a family.  Those were sweet times.

5) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on?

BOTH!
Temperature is supposed to reach the 90's and feel like 100 today so in our home every room has a ceiling fan (even the master bath) and the A/C never cuts off.

6) Though she's belting out one of America's best loved patriotic songs, Deanna Durbin was born in Canada. Is there anyone in your family or circle of friends who wasn't born in the USA?

No, we are all native born Americans and proud of it!

7) No longer a household name, Ms. Durbin was once one of the biggest stars in the country. One of her most popular films was 1937's One Hundred Men and a Girl, which was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. Recommend a movie that you really like, but don't think many Saturday 9ers have seen.



War Room is one of several really strong movies written and produced by Kindrick Brothers Productions.

8) Back in 1938, Deanna Durbin had her handprints cemented in front of the TCL Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd. Have you ever visited that Los Angeles tourist attraction?

I have not

9) Random question: What food did you hate as a child, but enjoy now?

Okra


Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

8 comments:

  1. War Room... excellent movie!! I love all the movies the brothers have produced! Now I want a plate of your picnic food...yum! Have a great Saturday and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I'm not sure I've tried okra again as an adult. Maybe it's time we get reacquainted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! Fried okra, one of my favorites now, but absolutely would not touch the stuff growing up! It truly is a shame the way people are tearing down memorials of our history. Your selection of food is some of my favorites, although I haven't really cared for watermelon since I was a kid. Maybe I need to see about eating some of it now because I need to lose a few pounds. Happy Memorial Day and be safe whatever you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! I think I live just far enough south to have the influence because that is my go to picnic also. I love fried okra! My Granie used to make that all of the time. I think I always loved it though, even as a child.
    War Room is such a great movie! Loved it. Loved your answers! Have a nice Memorial Day weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That picnic is jsut my style... Yummy! Loved War Room.. awesome movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You on the east coast? 'Cause the weather here sounds just like yours! Hot and sticky. Happy Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't understand the move to "erase" our history. Some of it may not reflect our proudest moments as a nation, but it is our past and as someone wise once said, "Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it." War Room is an excellent movie. That photo of the picnic looks just about perfect to me. My only exception would be the sweet tea. I'm not a fan, but my husband loves it. Have a lovely weekend and holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think its awful that Confederate memorials are being removed. Unforgivable really. I used to love okra especially in Chicken Gumbo soup which I adored as a child.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.