Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Stars, Stripes, Family & Flowers

Joyce has hit Wednesday Hodgepodge #180! That means this creative and ingenious lady has come up with 1,260 questions!  I can't even imagine doing such a thing, so Joyce, we thank you and admire your persistence to continue bringing us together week after week with such interesting

1. Speaking of 180...when was the last time you 'did a 180' on something?

In January, Hubby and I decided to do away with meat from our diet and go mainly vegetarian or vegan.  That was a 180' for us.  As a result, we have been rewarded with over-the-top good bloodwork and physicals this year.  Although we now occasionally eat a piece of meat, we stay away from all red meats and I'm really not missing them at all.

2. It's Independence Week in the US of A! What's your favorite thing about America right this very minute? Favorites only! Let's hear what you love about America.

I love that we are still a united people; a land of great opportunity and freedom; a land where people still have the opportunity to prosper.  I love the diverse beauty of this great land.  I love that we have the opportunity to assemble to share ideas and opinions, but most of all to worship.

3. Stars or stripes?  Stripes
 Red, white, or blue?  Red
Watermelon, homemade vanilla ice cream, or blueberry pie?  Watermelon

4. When did you last see stars, figuratively speaking?

I am dealing with a foot issue that causes pain when I put presure on the ball of my foot.  This morning while exercising in the pool, I saw stars.  Not a pleasant thing.  But I will be having surgery on that foot the end of September, so I'm sure today's pain stars was nothing.

5. 'Clear as a bell', 'with bells on', 'lots of bells and whistles', 'saved by the bell'...which phrase 'rings' truest for you lately? Have you ever seen The Liberty Bell?

"With Bells On!"  Our son and family drove down from Indiana this week to spend some time with her family.  We will be joining all of them for July 4th celebrations.
 
We haven't seen our DIL's large family in a long time, so are looking forward to spending the day with the Wilson clan.  Of course, we always enjoy spending time with son and family.  We will be there Friday with bells on.

6. Are you caught up in World Cup fever? Have you watched a lot or a little or none at all?

I cannot say we are caught up in the fever, but we have tried to watch or at least keep up with what Team USA is doing.  So sorry that they are out after their loss on Tuesday.
7. Bid farewell to June in 10 words or less.

I will miss your breezes, rains, and pleasant temps.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

The flowers have just been spectacular lately because of the frequent showers and lots of sunshine in our part of the world.  Let me share a few from mine and my neighbor's yards.
 The Day Lily is a landscape staple in the Southern yard.
 This Mandevilla which is trellised against a fence, has been spectacular.
 This bed of perennials has been eye-catching in the curve of our neighbor's yard.
 Our city flower is the Crepe Myrtle and the white is always the first to bloom.  The clusters of these tiny fragile flowers are just beautiful.
 My corner bed of English Hawthorne, Azaleas, Caladiams, and Geraniums has offered a lovely accent to the back corner of our house.
 On our back yard fence, we have pouches of begonia and petunias, highlighted by pots of potato vine, verbena and coleus.
 I just love this sweet little hanging planter on the our patio wall.  The shade loving plants have been quite happy.
 There is nothing prettier than a rose bud, and these "Knockout Roses" are so faithful to bloom off and on all year with a minimum of attention.
And perhaps we have this little fellow to thank for a lot of the propagation and health of our plants.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

8 comments:

  1. Our day lilies are so pretty this year too! I am loving the color out back after a gray winter. Safe travels and enjoy time with family this Independence Day weekend! I'll have one daughter home, and we'll spend the day with my brother and sister in law since they live on the river and always have a crowd. Perfect spot for viewing the fireworks too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flowers are gorgeous-especially the perennials! Have a great Fourth of July.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Elizabeth,
    What a beautiful and varied array of flowers and plants in yours and your neighbours gardens ….. there's nothing nicer than a lovely garden, is there, be it large or small ?
    …. and, I love the questions and answers….. always an enjoyable read.
    Many thanks for your lovely comment ….. it made my day. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what gorgeous flowers! Great hodgepodge! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What gorgeous flowers! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have all sorts of day lillies in my gardens...love them! Of course, they've stopped blooming as of about 2 weeks ago. I had quite the bounty for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is beautiful!! You asked about what to wear to a late August outdoor wedding I made beef burgundy for dinnerin Maryland. I would recommend a lightweight , flowy cotton dress to the knees or calf . with short sleeves or sleeveless. It's hit and humid in August . A little umbrella just in case of z late afternoon rain shower. You can get them at the dollar store when you arrive if you don't want to pack it. I would wear cute sandals and if it's near gardens or woods, maybe wear avon Skin So Soft as bug repellant, depending . Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I have NO earthly idea how the line about beef burgundy got in there!! Crazy!! But funny.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.