Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Oh the Sweet Days of Summer!

Please join me and many others from many parts of the world today for
1. "Summer is like childhood. It's full of warm memories and gone too soon."~Kellie Elmore  Agree or disagree? Share something you loved about the summers of your childhood.

I agree with this statement.  However, I will have to admit that after our children left home, "summer" held less significance.  We enjoyed the children being at home and the freedom we all enjoyed and the memories we made during those few short months.  For us now, the summer months are just another part of the year when we do whatever we do whenever we decide to do it.

Ahhhh, the summers for us southern country kids of the 40's and 50's were wonderful lazy days spent playing and imagining; creating and pretending; getting into trouble and having to select your own personal switch; spending time with friends; picnics; fishing.  I loved not having homework, but instead doing creative projects that Mother and Daddy always seemed to provide.  Yes, life was good!
Me playing dress-up.  Little did we know the halter tops, full skirts and stilettos would be in style 60 years later.
2. Are you a fan of auto racing-NASCAR, Indy, Stock, Grand Prix, etc? Ever been to a race in person? Any desire to do this?  Do you know a lot about cars? Do you notice particular makes and models when you're out and about?

Not a racing fan!  Never been to a race and no desire to go.  As a teenager, I could identify every make and model of car on the road.  Now?  Too many and it's really not important.  I did see a Porsche SUV this morning that caught my attention though.

3. What's something you think is too serious to be joked about? Or do you think anything and everything is fair game?

Death, abortion, serious illness, war, one's relationship with God

4. July 29th is National Lasagna Day. Are you a fan? Do you have a great recipe, and if so where did it come from? If given a choice would you choose a plate of lasagna or a plate of spaghetti?

Well, I didn't know there was a National Lasagna Day.  The things we learn from Wednesday Hodgepodge!  When given the choice at our favorite Italian restaurant, it will always be lasagna!

5. What's a simple pleasure you'd miss if it were not a regular part of your life?

Every morning after returning from the gym, Hubby and I make our healthy smoothie then we each spend time in Bible reading and study together in our sunroom.  I miss this time when we get out of our routine, and am so grateful that this a regular part of our retired life together.

6. If you could be the CEO of any company, which would you choose?

Does this one have to be answered?  A few years ago while I was still working, I might have been able to come up with something, but right now I don't even want to think about being in charge of anything.  Been there, done that!

7. August is just around the bend...bid farewell to July in exactly seven words.

Farewell and welcome August trips and fun!

8. Insert your own random thought here.

In preparation for our upcoming trips, Hubby ordered a zoom lens attachment for my camera.  Bless his heart!  Is he not the sweetest thing?  Anyway, I was sitting in the sunroom playing with the new lens and was able to capture these amazing creatures right outside the window.

We have had several families of Purple House Finch this year, and they have figured how to get the nectar, with their chunky little beaks, from this particular hummingbird feeder.  The baby female on the left is singing to me.
 Because the birds have taken possession of the above feeder, the hummingbirds needed their own too.  Aren't they the most amazing creature!
May God's blessings be new to you every morning as the dew is fresh on the grass each day.
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

6 comments:

  1. I love my zoom lens. And quiet time in my sunroom every morning. I told hubs our next house must have either a sunroom or something comparable : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your morning routine sounds delightful. =) Love your picture playing dress up. What lovely memories.
    Blessings, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning! Enjoyed this as always! Loved your thoughts here...what GREAT pictures with the new zoom. Yes, that was sweet! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My work schedule is dictated by the school calender so I am off in the summers. I love being able to start my day with Bible study and prayer. I get up and get going so early during the school year that it's impossible then. I do it later in the day, of course, but nothing beats starting the day with God. I'm really going to miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Libby...your photos are wonderful! Chris got me a zoom lens several months ago and I love it! I use it nearly every time I'm outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The the picture of you from back in the day! That's a lovely routine you have with your husband. Hooray for trips and fun. Yes your husband is the sweetest thing!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.