Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Sisterhood on the Hodgepodge

It's a gorgeous new day from my outdoor perch in Granger, IN.  So, welcome to Michiana!


Hop on over to Joyce's Blog to participate or just see how she answered the following questions.  Her answers are always much more interesting than mine.

1.  Do you have a sister?  Tell us something about her.  If you don't have a sister, tell us about a friend who has been like a sister.  Or tell us about a sister-in-law if you have one who is extra special.

Yes, in fact, I have two sisters, Sarah and Virginia (Gingie).


I am the oldest, Gin (left) is two years younger and Sarah (middle) is seven years younger than I am.

We are all different of course, but Gin is the glue.  She was always the extrovert; is a fighter and 4-time cancer survivor; she is the caregiver, and there is nothing within her power that she wouldn't do for us.  She is a devoted mother and grandmother and is now devoted to caring for her husband who has health issues.  She is our blue-eyed, caring, pleasing, sweet sister.

Sarah, retired a couple years ago after teaching for 30 years.  She is the most devoted and caring mother and grandmother, willing to put even herself aside to assist one of her three grown sons and their families any way she can.  Sarah is also our crafter.  She paints rocks into baskets of flowers, and has literally transformed pieces of driftwood into works of art.

It is interesting how each of our strengths and weaknesses compliment each other.  I am so blessed to have these sisters in my life.

2.  Resister, assister, insister, persister...choose one of the words listed and explain how it relates to you and your life lately..

This week I will go with "assister."  Michelle and I will be covering a bench cushion for grandson Jackson's mud room.  We bought all the material yesterday and hope to get it done in the next day or two.  Also, we brought with us the wooden toy box my dad made for our son John back in 1969, thinking we would pass it down to Jackson.  However, Michelle has decided it just might stay at her house and hold all the blocks and toys that had once belonged to John.  So painting over the antiquing and stenciling that has decorated it for ages, will be another "assister" project before we leave.

3.  Share a favorite song, book, movie, or television program that features sisters.

I well remember the movie "Sister Act" from 1992.
Of course "Little Women" will always be a sister reading classic, but perhaps my favorite is "The Nightingale."
The song, "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" speaks to my relationship with my sisters - "Like a bridge over troubled water I will lay me down" - We will always be there for each other. 

4.  August 3rd is national watermelon day...are you a fan?  Do you like watermelon flavored candy?  Besides eating the melon as is, do you have a good recipe made with watermelon?

I am a huge fan of watermelon and in fact it is my favorite "fruit."  However, I don't want it any other way besides fresh or perhaps in a fresh fruit salad. And, no salt please.


Funny but true story:  My son was born on August 22nd - not the best time of year to be pregnant in the deep south.  The last week of my pregnancy was spent standing in front of the open refrigerator door eating watermelon.  I could eat a whole large melon in a day and stay cool at the same time.  Of course, I added almost 10 lbs. that week, and when my water broke, it was like a flood.

5.  'Tis August...what are three things you're looking forward to this month?

1.  Enjoy the rest of this first week of August with our Indiana family and Baby         Jax, while looking forward to spending quality time with a granddaughter and      her baby boy in Texas
2.  Dining out with friends
3.  Celebrating our son's 53rd birthday, though from a distance

6.  Insert your own random thought here.

Have you seen the movie, "Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris"?


It is not likely to win an Oscar but it is truly a delightful girly movie.  Michelle and I took Dick along with us. In order to counter balance this fufu experience, he and John went to see "Thor" later.


And I do love the haute couture fashion of the 1950's, especially these Christian Dior inspired frocks.  If you get a chance for a fun outing with the girls, don't miss this movie.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

5 comments:

  1. Phew your Bridge Over Troubled Waters comment gave me goosebumps. So much love there between you and your sisters. :)

    And I have never heard of people putting salt on watermelon! I don't think I would like it either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the same way with watermelon and my first pregnancy. I could eat an entire melon (and probably did on more than one occasion). We have the toy box my father-in-law made for our girls when they were little. We keep the grandkids toys inside and it stays in the attic when they're not visiting. Enjoy your family time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those photos are so cute of you and your sisters. I love the two projects your mentioned. Sister Act is a fun movie. Love the watermelon story. No salt for me either. Happy 53rd Birthday to your son. No, I haven't seen the movie yet. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have 2 great sisters. I hadn't heard of that film but I've seen Lesley Manville in a lot of things and think she's great so I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so late in commenting on everyone's posts. I enjoyed your answers. I love the photos and descriptions of. your sisters.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.