Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Schooled on the Hodgepodge

Welcome to this weeks edition of

Click on the link above to join all the Hodgepodgers.

1.  What's happening where you live in terms of schools opening? How do you feel about it?

Who knows!  It changes daily, but schools will officially open next Monday.  I heard this morning that a neighboring town, gave their students the choice of whether to return or not, and 78% chose not to.  This could be based on fear or it could be just a good excuse to be legalized dropouts.

Teachers are confused about how they will handle a classroom of sparsely arranged children plus teaching virtually, and others are concerned about how to safely handle a full classroom.  My Kindergarten teacher granddaughter is concerned about how to teach her ESL students phonics behind a mask.  A speech therapist, who has been denied the use of clear face mask shields, questions how in the world to teach her students.

I personally see both sides of the issue.  I believe children should be in the classroom where they received personal guidance and social interaction.  I also believe the statistics that show the safety of children being in group situations.

However, I also am aware that a large number of the children, particularly in our area, live with older adults who could be compromised.  Because I choose to not live in fear, but also choose to act responsibly, I come down on the side of opening ALL schools with some precautions.

2. What's something you still do 'old school'?
I can't think of one single thing I do 'old school.'

3. August 4th is National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day. Will you/did you celebrate by baking a batch? Eating a batch? Nuts or no nuts? Homemade or store bought? Soft and chewy or do you prefer your cookie to snap when you bite into it?

No, we are not going to indulge in celebrating this cookie day.  I prefer my cookies usually with nuts and soft and chewy.

4. What are you starved for?

If we're talking about food, since I am not a foodie I rarely if ever crave anything in particular.  If this is an open question, then I am starved for civility, common sense, leaders with strong conservative, Judaeo Christian values, a respect for our country's history, and a hope that things will be better soon.

5. Anything new and interesting on your August calendar? What is one thing you're looking forward to this month?

As I've mentioned previously, we will be celebrating my husband's 80th birthday and our 55th wedding anniversary the last weekend of August at our daughter's home in Dallas.  This event will be our focus.

6.  Insert your own random thought here.

SHOPPING IS THE PITS!

I am in the process of looking for a grandmother of the groom wedding dress for an outdoor October event in northern Indiana.  Do you have any idea how difficult that is?  Especially when the shopper lives in the deep south?  I do have faith though there will be that just right grandma dress out there somewhere before the end of September.

 I also did one of my least favorite things today - shopped for swim suits.  Inventory is poor, decent selections are poor, added to the fact they cannot be tried on makes an already frustrating experience even worse.

Yep, for a non-shopper, shopping is the pits!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

8 comments:

  1. Good luck finding a dress. You’re so stylish and I’m sure will find something just right for the occasion. I hope data is positive following schools reopening. If so, maybe we can relax a little. We are starved for the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck finding a dress for the wedding. I didn't even shop for a bathing suit this year, nope not doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Non shopping mother of the groom here with all the same issues. Good luck finding your dress and enjoy your trip and celebrations later this month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on all the celebrations, and I hope you find a dress

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful celebrations to look forward to at the end of August. Congratulations on 55 years of marriage! Shopping right now is a real struggle for sure. Hope the rest of your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, the schools need to start back up. I also agree with your type of cookie. I like your answer for #4 and have a great party. Sounds like a big celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I feel your pain about the non-shopper shopper having to shop right now. I bought a pair of shoes via Amazon. Took all my will power for the day just to stay on the website and finish the transaction.
    Wow! All the celebrations! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you DO find the perfect dress, you'll need to share photos! I will need to get a few new items for work, and I'm NOT looking forward to that. (I'm sure it will be easier than finding a grandmother-of-the-groom dress though.) Happy birthday do your husband! Have a wonderful trip.
    Jan
    I still double space too! I can't see to help myself. I prefer real books as well. I don't despise reading on a device, but real books are the best. My version is the New American Standard Bible, though I sometimes look up verses in KJV as well. I'm sorry things are so hard right now.
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.