Sunday, August 16, 2020

A Tribute to My Friend Terry

Last week I attended two funerals.  One was of a high school classmate.  Terry was only 75 but what a rich life he had lived.


When my family moved to Pine Prairie, LA in the summer of 1960, I was between my sophomore and junior years of high school.  I was not happy about this move any more than I had been of the previous move.  It meant I had to leave friends again with whom I felt a real bond.  Being somewhat of an introvert, it meant I again would have to put forth an effort to make my place in a new school and community.

Those feelings of fear and uncertainty didn't last long however.  I soon realized that there awaited a whole new group of really neat kids with which I could relate and be friends.

One of those was Terry.  Our junior class was small and although most if not all of them had known each other since 1st grade, yet they included me and made me feel welcome.  We made great memories together during those two years of high school.

After graduating from college Terry came back to Pine Prairie where he began his career in education, not only as teacher but as a basketball, baseball and track coach.  He later became Assistant Principal and then Head Principal. In all, he served over 35 years at the same school where he started as a 1st grader.

Because of the respect for "Mr Ardoin," and the concern of overcrowding, there were two funeral services held.  For a small community of not more than a few hundred people, this was remarkable.

There were numerous testimonies and eulogies given and memories and experiences shared. In every single one, the word "encourager" was used.  Following is one such example:

"I was a very poor country boy who thought I had nothing to offer, but you must have seen something in me.  You always encouraged me - push harder, run faster, study more...I feel that I have succeeded in my life's goals in large part because you told me to keep trying..."

The statement was made that I completely agree with.  "I have never heard one single negative word about Mr. Terry." What a tribute!

Another such story was given by a young man who now holds a very responsible position in D.C.

"I was in the first grade and walking down the long hallway loaded with my heavy book bag and looking at the floor.  I heard a big voice telling me "hold your head up boy!"  I was startled and looked up to see this tall man standing there.  He looked at me with a smile on his face and said, 'Son, never hold your head down, but look up and be proud of who you are.  Look me in the eyes, and be proud.'  From that day, the influence and example of that kind man, Mr Terry, has made all the difference in my life."

One more short testimony that sums up the life of my friend.

"You are definitely one of those special people who just make life better for everyone around.  Your kind heart and generous soul have blessed so many people.  You mean so much to so many of us."


A picture from our '62 yearbook of the yearbook staff.  Terry and I are on each end of the front row.

Thank you Terry for being my friend and for the thousands of lives you have touched and made better.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to your friend Terry. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your loss. I love to hear about teachers and administrators who have such a positive impact on their students. I have had a few that changed my life for the better! It also is so nice to hear how you were welcomed as a teenager in a new town. What a great picture of the yearbook staff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! we can always hope that half of those accolades will be said about us when we leave this world. What a guy!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.