Sunday, August 23, 2020

A Looking Back Post

I was curious to see what I blogged about when I first started back in August 2011.  I wasn't surprised to see that the early posts were on image and wardrobe planning, because that was supposed to be the reason for and direction I had hoped my blogging would take me.

These are still topics of interest I think, based on the number of fashion blogs and Instagram accounts I see every day.

So for this Monday post, I am going to take bits and pieces from several of those early posts and combine into one.


Does talking about your best colors bring to mind the 70's and 80's when a conversation starter was "I'm a Spring, what are you?"  Even though there doesn't seem to be as much emphasis on having your colors done today as it was back then, there is no doubt that having a personal color scheme is a hallmark of all truly stylish women.

The first step is to determine your skins undertone.  You will have either "Warm" or "Cool" undertones and this never changes.  It is what you are born with and have to live with.  Warm will mean that you have yellow undertones, and cool means that you have blue undertones.

Because of this, colors either blend and compliment, or fight and detract.  

Based on your skin tone, which of the following colors and characteristics best fit you?

IMAGE - Spring


Warm undertones

Think vibrantly alive, freshly appealing, animated, bubbly, brilliant, radiant, crisp, fun, and unstructured!!!

Your natural gift is IDEAS!  You may have trouble carrying them all out, but you are absolutely full of them.

You are vibrant, expressive, cheerful, spontaneous, and the life of the party.  You help the rest of the world have fun and hope!




"You are like the sun, shining brightly on humanity."  
Carol Tuttle, Discover Your Personal Beauty Profile


IMAGE - Summer

The summer woman is usually characterized by soft femininity with Dresden-like qualities; quietness, fluid movement; curves, perhaps even an hour-glass figure.

This person is somewhat introverted and moves slowly but deliberate.  She is steady, easy-going, relaxed, connected, nurturing, warm and detail-oriented.

The Summer's skin will be rosy or very pink which just fits perfectly with the overall sweetness of this person.

Think Monet!!

Cool undertones

The Summer loves floral patterns, lace, frills, and flowing designs in her clothing which enhances her soft romantic appearance.


Wear silver and rose gold jewelry and remember, Pearls are always perfect for the Summer.  Hair should be worn in  a soft style around face.  If you have natural curls, showcase them.


IMAGE - Autumn


Warm undertones

The absolute Autumn's skin may have more yellow, orange or gold undertone.  Because the hemoglobin count is high in the Autumn (I know, go figure), the color of their skin is more coral-orange.  This Season usually suntan beautifully,  and has been called the Bronze Goddesses of the Seasons.

There is nothing soft and frilly about this Season. Think texture and angles.


Autumn's characteristics are those of strength and strong will, just like the rough and fiery colors of nature.

You are a determined woman (some even dare to call us - yes I'm one - stubborn) and you need to honor your desire to accomplish your tasks swiftly and practically.

From your make-up which should be in the warm tones with golden and bronze highlights to your hair which should be a no-fuss style, you demonstrate the practical nature of this beautiful Season.

IMAGE - Winter


Cool undertones

The winter woman has been described as "Shimmering ice with warm friendly fires.  Elegance, poise and drama, independence, quietness with a touch of shyness."

Winter's look is "Elegance"  The bold colors of winter accent the striking color scheme of the season.  Think Picasso with his brilliant colors and angles.

She has cool - blue - skin undertones and will more than likely have a fair complexion, but not in all cases.

Winters are insightful, intense and precise.


The best shades are strong, vivid shades with blue undertones such as red, royal blue and emerald green.  The best neutrals are black and navy.  This is the only season who can wear pure white and look gorgeous.

 Remember
few of us are an absolute Season but because of genetics we are blends of all the four Seasons.  BUT, we will always have a dominant and sub-dominant Season.

I hope you have enjoyed our journey back in time with the four Seasons and have found your distinct coloring and temperament here somewhere.  I pray you will take this bit of information and find what best enhances your God given beauty.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

3 comments:

  1. That's the first thing I thought of when I started reading, "Are you a Spring or Winter?" I definitely remember those days. I guess I had it backward, I always thought Warm undertones looked best in darker colors: blue, maroon, brown, and Cool undertones was brighter: yellow, orange, red... Thank you for this fun walk down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I enjoyed this post, Libby! I was into discovering my color palette back in the 80s and continue to follow that line of thought these many years later. I've been a Winter but may have a little more summer in me now that my brunette hair is turning a delightful silver, which I love. I use a shampoo that brightens those silver strands to keep it from looking drab. I've also discovered as I age that my eyebrows have thinned considerably so I take care of that daily with the help of a pencil. I tell my husband that people can't see me without my eyebrows!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting read, I enjoyed the review as I had my colors done many years ago. Although I remembered my colors I couldn't remember what season they were.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.