Saturday, July 28, 2018

Saturday 9 - Love Is All Around

Where were you in 1970?


I was trying to figure out how to be a mother to this adorable, rambunctious one year old while anticipating the birth of his little sister.  It was a busy but wonder-filled time in our lives.


Saturday 9: Love Is All Around (1970)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song is the theme from The Mary Tyler Moore Show, a sitcom that originally aired from 1970 to 1977. Were you a fan?

Yes, I watched it some when I had time in the evenings.  That was a busy period of time.  I mostly remember them as reruns.

2) The song tells us that Mary Richards can turn the world on with her smile. Yet the real-life Mary Tyler Moore said she was uncomfortable with her "wide mouth." If you could improve on one of your facial features, which would you choose? 

My nose.  But it really isn't something I'd ever want to change.  It is me.

3) We also hear that Mary can "take a nothing day and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile." What do you think makes a day "a nothing day?"

I suppose it would be one where there was nothing planned and nothing to look forward to. 

4) Mary works in the newsroom at WJM. Her desk is neat as a pin. Are you neat? Or do you lean to the sloppy side?

I can't abide clutter, so my house (except for this desk at the moment) is usually neat as a pin.

5) Mary's best friend, Rhoda, worked as a window dresser at Hempel's department store. What department store did you most recently shop at? What did you buy?

The last time I was in a department was months ago.  It was Dillards and I bought a pair of shoes.

6) Mary Richards lived in Minneapolis. What city is nearest to where you are right now?

I live in Shreveport, the 4th largest city in my state of Louisiana; however, the largest city near me would be Dallas, Texas.

7) Originally the part of Mary Richards was written as a divorcee, but in 1970, there were no TV shows that centered around a divorced woman. Think about the women in your life. Are most of them married, divorced, single or widowed?

Most are married, but sadly, there are more and more of my friends who have become widows in the last year or so.  That's what happens when you and your friends were born in the early 40's.

8) The MTM production company logo featured a mewing kitten. The cat was found in a Minneapolis shelter, and, after her sequence was shot, she was adopted by a crew member who named her Mimsie. What's the name of the last cat -- or dog or hamster or rabbit -- that you petted?

As I don't have a pet, the last one I petted would be my sister's cat, Ellie.  This is that beautiful, spoiled baby.

Image may contain: cat

9) Random question -- Would you rather have a job that kept you seated on your fanny or standing on your feet?

I DON'T WANT A JOB!!  I am loving retirement too much to even want to pretend.  But, since my back won't let me stand for very long in one place, my pretend job would have to be sitting on my fanny. 



Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

6 comments:

  1. What a fun post! In 1970 I was a sophomore in high school and yes, I did watch Mary Tyler Moore. I was a big fan of the Dick Van Dyke show in the 60s so I was thrilled to see her return to TV. If I was to choose a facial feature to change, it would be my thin lips which inherited from my sweet momma. There are many times when nothing days are just what I need, my desk at work is as neat as a pin but I wish I could say the same about my home...not messy but I do need to reduce my clutter... God is still working on me. :) Does Walmart count as a department store? If so, I was just there yesterday and I bought groceries and a step stool. I live in Mebane which is a small town sandwiched between two larger cities of Greensboro and Durham, most of my close friends are married, the last furry thing I petted is one of my dachshunds, Oscar, who is lying right next to me and my job (until I retire hopefully next year) keeps me seated most of the day but I have the freedom to be as active as I choose...I manage the office of a PT clinic and have many opportunities to be active...IF I choose to...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I see I failed to say what I was doing in 1970 and that was living as a newlywed in San Antonio having just left all my family and friends and wishing they weren't so far away. Your family picture is sweet and my goodness, what changes to your family since then. I'm with you - I don't want a job, although I have to admit I miss the co-workers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And your little boy was so cute! (I am just wondering why neither you nor Teri show up on the links on Saturday 9.)

      Delete
  3. My mom use to shop at Dillards We do not have one where I live though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my! Ellie is beautiful and you can tell by that pose that she does not object to being spoiled. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to watch Mary Tyler Moore reruns. I loved that show. Yes, you can feature my blog. Thank you for your sweet comments and the chance to share the word of God with the feature.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.