Saturday, July 21, 2018

Saturday 9 - Gidget

I am joining the
group this week.  Do you remember Gidget?

Gidget

The Theme from Gidget 

Welcome to Saturday 9

Saturday 9: Gidget (1965)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune?   Hear it here.









1) Gidget was a sitcom that ran only one season. Have you ever seen it?

Yes, but not weekly I'm sure.  That was the year I got married, and I'm not even sure we had a TV.  Besides, we had better things to do with our evenings at home.


2) Gidget is a high school student who is more interested in surfing and boys than in the books. When you were Gidget's age, was your top priority getting good grades? Or were you more involved in the social side of student life?

Oh definitely the more social and athletic side of student life, much to my parents and teachers chagrin.

3) Gidget's father was nearly always unflappable when it came to his daughter's high-spirited shenanigans. Who is the coolest, calmest person you know?


That would be my Daughter-in-love.  She is the most laid back and easy going mother I know.  She is not bound by a clock or schedule, which drives me crazy, but it works for her and she definitely knows how to enjoy her family and friends.


4) Gidget spends as much time as she can at the beach, hanging out with her best friend Larue. Fair-skinned Larue doesn't share Gidget's passion for surfing and prefers to stay on the beach blanket, wearing a floppy hat that protects her from the sun. Are you a sun worshipper? Or, like Larue, are you careful about your exposure to the sun?

At that age, I was a very devoted sun worshipper and had the beautiful olive tan to prove it.  And sunscreen had not been invented.  In fact, we lathered on baby oil to help speed up the tanning process.  Today, I have the aging spots to show for it.

5) Gidget, the quintessential California girl, was created by Freidrich Kohner, an Austrian-born screenwriter. Can you think of another Austrian import?

Arnold Schwarzenegger is the only actor I know other than Hedi Lamur who was a very well-known actress from my parent's day.  Director Otto Preminger I think was Austrian.  I am also reading a book written by an Austrian Jewish woman who survived the Holocaust.  She never actually became a U.S. citizen, but I would still call her a very brave and heroic import.

6) Howard Greenfield and Jack Keller wrote this week's Gidget theme. They also wrote the 1960 hit song, "Everybody's Somebody's Fool." When is the last time you felt foolish?


After I've done or said something that wasn't appropriate or necessary at the moment.  The Lord has a way of reminding me I don't want to become a contentious old woman.

7) This is the show that introduced Sally Field. She went on to win two Oscars and four Emmy Awards. When you think of Sally, what role comes to mind?


Oh my, there are so many, but the first to come to mind has to be her role in "Steel Magnolia," which took place only an hour from where I live.  And then, there is "Mrs. Doubtfire" and "Forrest Gump."  But perhaps the one I most remember is the movie "Sybil." Although it is so sad and tragic, young Sally Field mastered her role in this movie and totally drew me into her character. 

8) Today Gidget is a grandmother. Sally reports that her grandchildren especially enjoy "sleepovers at Granny's." Where were you the last time you spent the night away from home? 


It would be my recent 2-night visit with my sisters at the home of the middle Sis.  We always enjoy our time together and this visit had fun trying to get a good picture of ourselves.  This was the best we could do.

- Describe your perfect lazy afternoon. 

Lately, most of my afternoons are lazy.  I enjoy either sitting in the sunroom or on the screened-in back porch with a cup of Chia tea and my ipad with either games or a good book or both.  But, perhaps the perfect one would be where its a whole lot cooler than it is here right now, and with this vista.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers using baby oil (cooking oil and butter, too) to try and tan faster. Too bad we didn't know then what we know now.
    You have a lovely family. I enjoyed the pictures.
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe looking back you wished you'd stayed indoors watching Gidget rather than baking in the sun.

    Good for your daughter in law! I feel naked without my watch. I wish I was as free from schedules as she is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you like your daughter-in-law. So many sons' mothers do not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You value your daughter-in-law. She must adore you for that. It's the best gift a mother-in-law can give to her daughter-in-law, well, aside from a fine son. ;o)
    #5. Oh yes, a very brave import indeed.
    Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember Sally Field from Smokey and the Bandit, which came out when I was a kid. I also WATCHED it when I was a kid. It was probably inappropriate for my age, but my parents were WAY less particular than I am with my kids. The photos with you and your sisters came out great.
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.