Wednesday, November 3, 2021

It's a Fall Back Hodgepodge

After being off last week from the Hodgepodge, it is good to be back.  I enjoy talking all things Fall and especially November, as Monday, the 1st was my birthday.

1.  Three things you're grateful for this first week of November?

1.  To be one year older and healthy
2.  The cool weather
3.  To be where we know God wants us 

2.  Is Daylight Saving Time a thing where you live?  Do you think we should continue setting the clocks forward and back?  Why or why not?  If you could add an extra hour to your day would you want it added morning-noon-night?  Do you think it likely you'd be more productive or more likely that you'd just waste more time?


Yes it is, and no, I don't think it is necessary to continue this strange manipulation of time.  One reason is, the springing forward change is a difficult adjustment for me for some reason.  For us in the Central Time Zone, sunrise will be around 6:45 AM and sunset 5:30ish beginning next week.  For some reason, I prefer this Standard Time Change.

I have no desire to add another hour to my day as I don't foresee it making a bit of difference in my lifestyle or activity.  I sure wouldn't be more productive!


3.  Who is your favorite author?  Your favorite book by your favorite author?

When we were moving and getting rid of books we had read and probably would not read again, I had more by David Baldacci and John Crisham than any other.  Of the two, I prefer Baldacci.  He creates interesting characters that I enjoy following and every book is a thriller.  Do I have a favorite?  That is difficult because the one I happen to be reading at the time is always my favorite; however,  "Absolute Power" 1996 and "The Camel Club" series 2005 were the lures that captivated my interest and got me hooked.  

I also enjoy Lee Child, Joel Rosenberg, and Michael Connelly.  Yes suspense is my thing.

4.  It's National Sandwich Day...will you celebrate?  How often do you eat a sandwich?  What's your favorite?

I rarely eat a sandwich.  If I were to have a favorite it would be peanut butter and jelly.  It has to be mixed not layered, and for an extra delight, add sliced banana on top.


5.  Have you started your Christmas shopping?  If so when did you start?  If not when will you start?  Do you give more or fewer gifts than you did five years ago?

I have bought a couple things, but to be honest, I don't buy many gifts.  It is impossible to buy for young women and men whose tastes are very different from yours and who buy anything they want for themselves, and who make more money than we do.  I've made donations in their name, which wasn't a big hit either.  They don't need a monetary gift, but that is what they've been getting regardless.

HELP!

6.  Insert your own random thought here.

Granddaughter and hubby wore the cutest costumes for their Halloween party.


Baby-in-the-pouch Mommy-to-be and Safari hunter


Christy and Chuck dressed as excited grandparents-to-be.  Love it!


My long-time friend Charlene and I met in Lafayette, La last week while I was down south.  We have been friends since 1965 and don't get to see each other near enough.


 We ate at a restaurant in old downtown called Pat's.  When the locals fill up the place before noon, you know the food must be good.  And it was.  I had fried catfish covered with Shrimp Etouffee and the most delicious creamy potato salad I've ever eaten. 


Afterward, we walked around the streets and small businesses where they have chairs and tables on the sidewalk and old men speaking with Cajun French accents about the "good old days."

I was not ready to end our visit, but we promised to do it again in the spring.  And I had the best visit with my sisters while there.  We never take these not often enough visits for granted.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

7 comments:

  1. Cute costumes! I know everyone is so excited. Sounds like a fun day out and time spent with a long time friend is good for the soul. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, like suspense and mystery and thrillers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun costumes and exciting times with the little one coming. We've tried to go to stockings only and then take a trip together instead of exchanging gifts. The only problem is that our stocking gifts get a little over the top. Oye. Happy November and Happy Hodgepodge to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of that author but I do LOVE John Grisham! Chandler and Hubby are too cute and the perfect costumes. Hope your birthday week has been extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Libby, remember me?? UGH, I'm such a terrible blogger these days, I used to be so good! Fall is my favorite time of year but I don't care much for the time change thing either. We are in eastern time and I can't stand sunset at 4:30! I'm trying to get my life in order, so much has happened that I'm dying to blog about, but it gets discouraging when so few if anyone reads what I write. I do love stopping in here, but I must admit, I've been bad at that too. I'm working on doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to meet with your friend for lunch and walk around the town. Cute Halloween costumes. Your sandwich sounds interesting. I don't like changing the clocks. They should stay as they are right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fun time. My mom used to eat a peanut butter, onion and mayo sandwich. I've never gotten up the nerve to try it.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.