Wednesday, November 10, 2021

A Throwback Hodgepodge

Joyce reminded us that her very first Wednesday Hodgepodge post was this week in 2010.  As a playback, she is repeating some of the questions from that post.  I am so grateful to Lea @ CiCis Corner for helping me get started with blogging and introducing me to the Hodgepodge back in 2011.

Thank you Joyce for inspiring us to think, to combine words in a meaningful way, and for providing a common meeting ground once a week.

Now, let's go back in time and see what Joyce had on her mind 11 years ago.

1.  How did you name your blog and do you now wish you had thought about it maybe another five minutes before hitting publish?  Would you change your blog title if it were not a huge pain in the derriere?

This answer is a bit lengthy but I will try to keep it readably short.

For a couple years when my kids were young, I did speaking engagements to women's groups in churches all over Louisiana.   My theme was about make-up and grooming, and ended with a spiritual emphasis.  I titled my presentations "Beauty Without Within."

Years later when employed in the Technical College System, I did a presentation for our region on how to plan a working wardrobe, and again ended with the fact that true beauty comes from within.  Well, word got around and I was invited to speak to city employees, and numerous groups on the state level such as the Dept. of Ed.

When I retired in 2011, and Lea encouraged me to start blogging, I thought following this theme on my blog made sense.  After all, I felt other women might enjoy reading about creating a good self image more than financial aid, safety manuals or space utilization.  That was about all I felt qualified to write about.

That is how "Beauty Without Within" became the name of my blog.

It didn't take long to realize that there were other interesting things beginning to happen in my life that I wanted to share and to be honest, there weren't many women interested in self image either.  Now, I blog about whatever interests me or an experience or person I want to remember for years to come.

  Would I change the name?  No!  I still believe women are truly beautiful on the outside when they are truly beautiful on the inside.

I also love showing how life, although messy and not its best for all to see, can still be good, rewarding and blessed.

2.  What bill do you least like to pay?

This is not meant to be a Pollyanna answer, but we are just grateful to be able to pay our bills.  We do it without begrudging because God has so richly blessed us and we try to use that blessing wisely.

That being said, we have had to shell out a few thousand dollars this week due to a hot water leaking pipe under out utility room slab.  That wasn't fun!

3.  What is your favorite word?  Okay okay, calm down.  How about one of your favorite words?

"MOM"

4.  Is the glass half full or half empty?  Elaborate.

It is half full only because I know Who holds tomorrow and greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world.

5.  Were you here for that very first Hodgepodge post?  If so, were your answers then similar to what they are today?  Tell us what was happening in your life in November of 2010.

No, I wasn't blogging in 2010.  I was a Financial Aid Officer in a Technical College in Shreveport, LA counting the days until May 2011 when I could retire.  In November, I would have given out the final Pell Grant payment for the semester and counseling students how to save some of it for the next semester.

There would have been long days of endless reports and trying to get along with the powers that be on the campus.

One week ago on this day in 2010, I was sitting in the Coliseum in San Antonio, TX, watching granddaughter Chandler's high school band compete for the state title.  They came in 2nd.

6.  Insert your random thought here.

This past weekend was packed with enjoyable visits with some of our dearest friends; a perfect wedding; and Ava Grace was in another play.


Kelsey & Steven



We have known Kathy since her girls were both preschoolers.  They have all been "our girls" for over 30 years and now have families of their own.


The wedding was in the most beautiful, rural setting and absolutely perfect.


As I was getting ready to post this, a picture popped up on Facebook memories.  Guess who!


Our precious girls came to help us celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary six years ago.  What a great memory!


Ava Grace is taking theater and was in her first school play this past weekend - "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane."

(She is the cutie on far right)

We were so sorry we had to miss her performance, but we hear she did her usual amazing job.  We have no doubt.



As always, her support team was there for her.

May you be blessed with sweet friendships and a great rest of your week.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

7 comments:

  1. It was fun to read the story behind your blog. I don't think I knew all the details. Congratulations to the bride and groom. Looks like a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to the bride and groom, the photos are lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was nice to read your hodgepodge today. Great name for your blog. That bridal gown is so pretty on the pretty bride. Happy Hodgepodge to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I could be instrumental in your starting to blog. What a fun ride it has been.

    I'm so sorry we didn't make it to Kelsey and Stephen's wedding. I am ashamed to say we were just lazy. We love Stephen! He's on staff at North Monroe and he preached a couple of months ago and did a stellar job. I pray he and Kelsey would be happy, happy!

    That Ava, just an amazing young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading about how your blog began. I do enjoy visiting here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you got your blog name. I'm so sorry about the water leak...we had one a few months ago and that was not fun. Thankfully my hubby works for a disaster restoration company and they took care of it. I love all the photos of the wedding and the cast of the play. How fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so impressed with the speaking that you did! You should be very proud of yourself. I bet you helped a lot of people. "Mom" is a great word! The wedding photos are beautiful and I always love seeing Ava Grace in her plays.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.