Saturday, August 25, 2018

Saturday 9: THINK Back



Think (1968)

I'm THINKing back to 1968.


It was the day of the fancy hair styles and french twist.  We had been married three years and lived in Orange, Texas and it was the year before I conceived our first-born.  It was a good year as I remember it.


In fond remembrance of The Queen of Soul (1942-2018).


Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.


1)  As befits one of America's premiere artists, Aretha Franklin sang at three Presidential inaugurations. The first was Jimmy Carter's in 1977, when she sang "God Bless America." What's your favorite patriotic song?

The National Anthem will always be my favorite but a close 2nd would be 
"God Bless America"

2)  The daughter of a Baptist minister, Aretha grew up with church music. She told Rolling Stone one of her favorite songs was the hymn, "Victory Is Mine." What's your favorite religious song? 

I too was the daughter of a Baptist minister and there are so many wonderful old hymns that I remember that we never sing anymore.  What a shame.  Some of my favorite religious songs would be "How Great Thou Art!", "In the Garden," "His Eye is on the Sparrow,"  "All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name,"  "Amazing Grace," "Great is His Faithfulness," "The Majesty and Glory of His Name," and the "Hallelujah Chorus."  There are so many others.

3)  She welled up a bit when President George H. W. Bush presented her with the nation's highest civilian award, the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005. When is the last time you shed a tear?

I'm not much of a crier, but I did get teary watching this video of a little boy and his military dad yesterday.  HERE

4)  In 1980, the Queen of Soul sang for the Queen of England in a Command Performance at The Royal Albert Hall. Have you ever been to London?

No, I haven't

5)  Since Aretha had many honorary degrees, it would have been appropriate to refer to her as Dr. Franklin. Who is the last person you referred to by his or her title (Officer, Father, Sgt., Dr., etc.)?

I recommended my physician to a friend yesterday, so Dr. Mercer.

6)  In this week's song, Aretha tells her lover that it doesn't take a high IQ to understand what's going on in their relationship. Do you know your IQ?

No, and have no desire to be humiliated by an innocuous number.

7)  A sculpture of Aretha is on display at Madame Tussaud's in New York. Do you think wax museums are cool, or creepy?

I have only been in one wax museum.  I find them neither cool nor creepy.  Just not something I'm interested in.

8)  Aretha and Motown legend Smokey Robinson were literally lifelong friends, since they were playground buddies in Detroit. Smokey is one of the only people who can claim to have seen The Queen of Soul with a bucket in a sandbox. If we went to the playground today, would you head for the swings, the slide or the jungle gym? Or, like Aretha, would you play in the sand?

I would head for the swings.  Do we ever get too old to swing or be swung?

9)  Random question: Do you like pumpkin seeds?

No

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

8 comments:

  1. Your photos from 1968 are beautiful and you look very much the same! Thinking back to that year, I was in the 8th grade and remember a lot of great music and groups that were so popular back then. It was then that I had my first boyfriend that was somewhat of a secret. I was not allowed to date but we saw each other at school...I thought I was deeply in love...lol! I miss some of the old hymns too but we (the worship team) are actually going to be singing a lively, updated version of How Great Thou Art this coming Sunday. Aretha Franklin was certainly given a gift. She actually stopped by our little town a few years back and ate supper at our Cracker Barrel! God's heavenly choir has a new lead singer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling post. I was a big fan of Aretha's too. Hope you are enjoying your Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of you with the umbrella?

    Now why would you assume your IQ would be "humiliating?" It's as though you don't think it's possibly that you're bright, and yet look at your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the answer to number 6, but I doubt your IQ would be humiliating. The photos of you from 68 are beautiful, and I'm guessing you never went through that awkward stage. I like the pic of you holding the umbrella and it reminds me that 1968 was the first year I ever owned one! Isn't that weird? Military videos and little children do bring tears to my eyes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, look at how cute you were with those big ol' dimples! And you're still just as cute. :)

    I'm just guessing from the way you write, but I'm guessing you're too smart to be humiliated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your flat-out "no" on the pumpkin seeds question. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No. You can never be too old to enjoy a swing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to swing too! It is so much fun. I loved all of your answers and I love your picture too!! Love it! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.