Monday, April 9, 2018

MAKING A STATEMENT AD TOUR

Have you been inside Architectural Digest lately?

Then let me take you.

The April 2018 issue cover is titled 
"Making a Statement."
  

From the front cover to the back, this issue doesn't disappoint.  It is all about making a statement.

Page 34
There is an interesting story behind this chair design.

Back in the early 1930's, a Dutch department store asked architect Gerrit Rietveld to do something unprecedented and that was to design a chair for mass production.

His design was a Z-shaped chair made from four slices of wood.  In his own words, Gerrit described them this way, "It is not a chair but a designer's joke!"

Little did he know that some 80 years later, his practical joke would be sought after and selling well into the thousands of dollars.


Are you familiar with Zedd?

I had never heard of this scruffy, baby-faced multi-millionaire celebrity.  But, it appears he is a Grammy-winning music producer and songwriter whose real name is Anton Zaslavski, a.k.a. Zedd.


Zedd says, “I saw an ad for this house, which was way too expensive, but I asked if I could look at it for inspiration—like, if I wanted to build my own house. I drove down the gate of the house and my brain went immediately to: This is something Steve Jobs would have enjoyed.” 

“I walked in here and it was so perfect.” 


 Zedd gladly gives us a tour of his 9,400-square-foot home—which he decorated himself.


Blending Baroque and Modern in a 16th Century Maltese palace!

Page 138
When the United Kingdom’s future prime minister Benjamin Disraeli visited Valletta, Malta’s capital, in 1830, he described it as “a city of palaces built by gentlemen for gentlemen.” And it is one of these palaces that Francis Sultana bought 12 years ago to create his own Maltese sanctuary.

Sultana is an AD designer and recently appointed as "Ambassador of Culture" to Malta.


Now this is a terrace with a view!


Manhattan Wall Statement




Yes, you can and I would give my right arm to do so.  Well, maybe not that drastic a desire, but I have had a fascination for all things Frank Lloyd Wright since I did an independent study of him and his works in 9th grade.


This is the Cornwell House in Waimea, Hawaii and can be rented beginning at $800 a night and can be found on the VRBO site HERE

Or, I am thinking this one may be closer for me to try.


This is the Dr. Richard Davis house in Marion, IN, just a mere 103 miles south of where our son lives.

Dr. Richard Davis met Wright when he assisted on the architect’s gallbladder surgery at the Mayo Clinic in 1950. The current owner is Matthew Harris, who has owned the home for 20 years and has restored the property following Wright’s design principles.  It starts at $400 a night and can be rented from This Site..

I hope you have enjoyed this quick but fun tour of Architectural Digest April 2018.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

2 comments:

  1. I love unusual homes and enjoyed this post! Sometimes we drive through the town we live in to see what new houses are being build. Wish I could tour each one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and interesting; it's always nice to see how the 1% live. I may be mistaken but though zedd was Russian slang for prisoner. Interesting nickname.
    Elizabeth, thanks for visiting Thistle Cove Farm; the gift of your time and comment are greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.