Wednesday, April 11, 2018

A Jazzy Hodgepodge


It is good to be back on the Hodgepodge this week.

Click HERE to see what the other bloggers have to say.

1. April is National Jazz Appreciation Month. Are you a fan? If so what's a favorite you'd recommend to someone new to jazz listening?

I occasionally listen to soft jazz but it is not my favorite.

2. Mandolin, ukulele, harp, accordion or banjo...which would you be most interested in learning to play? Or do you already play one of the instruments listed?

I always wanted to learn to play the harp, but never did.  Don't care about playing any of the others.

3. Do you judge a book by it's cover? Elaborate. You may answer in either/both the literal or figurative sense of the word.

Yes, both figuratively and literally.  First impressions are powerful.  It is said that it takes a mere two seconds to make an in-depth and long-lasting impression about a person.  I also judge a literal book by it's cover before reading about it.  So, unfortunately, we DO judge a book/person by its cover.  Our brains just happen to work that way - it forms an overall impression that is sometimes difficult to alter.



4. According to a recent study the ten most nutritious foods are-almonds, cherimoya (supposed to taste like a cross between a pineapple/banana), ocean perch, flatfish (such as flounder and halibut), chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, swiss chard, pork fat (shocking! but I don't think they mean bacon), beet greens, and red snapper. Are any of these foods a regular part of your diet? Any you've never ever tasted? Which would you be most inclined to add to your diet?

Actually, there are several I have never tasted, such as cherimoya (but I think I would like to), swiss chard and pork fat.  The only thing on the list that would be a regular part of our diet would be the seafood.  I do eat slivered/sliced almonds in cereals but don't eat them on a regular bases because of the fat content.  This list is shocking in a way, because there are so many more healthy foods then these.

5. Besides a major holiday what is the most recent thing you've celebrated with your people? Tell us how.

And, who are my people?  If you are talking about family, then it would have been when we watched our youngest granddaughter in her performance of Sound of Music a few weeks ago.  We celebrated being together to support our budding actress and adorable grand girl.

If it's friends, then it would have been Easter Sunday when we had a couple friend over for lunch after church.  We celebrated the Resurrection of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. 

6. Insert your own random thought here.


Speaking of Grandchildren, I think it's time for a picture catch-up.

I'll start with the Dallas Grands



Chandler celebrated her 25th birthday this past Sunday.  She is loving her teaching job and she and Brad are looking forward to traveling across Italy in June.  They have been to some amazing places since getting married 3 years ago.



Cassidy, our adventurous world traveler, made a solo trip to D. C. last weekend.  She is so brave, and scares me to death.  She is enjoying her work with a fashion blogger in Dallas.



Emily is working and attending Cosmetology school in Fayetteville, AR.  She is the high-energy one in the family and as you can tell by this smile, also full of life.


Ava Grace, 11 is busy with singing and acting classes as well as several sports.  She will have a lead role in the Prestonwood Children's Music program in a couple weeks.  She is a very busy and social 5th grader.

Now for our Indiana Grands. 



Jackson has an internship job lined up for the summer in his field of Supply Chain and Business Management before returning to WMU for his final semester and another season of Rugby in the fall.  Here he is with his adorable girl friend, McKenna for an outing in Chicago.


These two beauties sent me this picture this past Sunday on their way to see "Phantom of the Opera" with their parents at the Morris Theater in South Bend, IN.
Mary-Elizabeth, on left, is a high school junior and spending every available hour studying.
Savannah will complete her first year at Trine University in a few weeks and will begin  rigorous training for another year of soccer.

As for their parents,

They are all staying busy keeping up with their offspring.



Christy & Chuck



John & Michelle

And that is the bunch and we could not be more proud of every one of them.
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

8 comments:

  1. Visiting from the Hodgepodge. So glad to meet you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt about it, you've got a gorgeous family. I always enjoy seeing your pics. Have a wonderful week, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree! Your family is just gorgeous and if I were judging by the cover here, I would have to say they are all top notch! But the accomplishments they have made and knowing your pride in them, I can see much deeper than that. They're the cream of the crop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a beautiful family, Elizabeth. They all look like models to me! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was very interesting reading about your grandkids. You must be so proud of them. They are all beautiful!
    I think you would love Cherimoyas. We have them here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I'm afraid we all form our opinions of others rather quickly. All of the pictures of the Grans and children are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love smooth jazz but truthfully I don't listen to music that often. I also picked the harp. It is difficult not to judge. The cherimoya sounds good to me too. Your family is beautiful. You are so blessed with all of those grandchildren!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a lovely family and it's nice to see everyone doing so well. I know you enjoy them and are rightfully proud of your kids and grands. Hope you're having a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.