As a general rule, I believe women over-60 are more comfortable in their skin than younger women. Why do you think that may be? Well, I've given it some thought, and have come to a very simple conclusion.
Wisdom, maturity and fulfillment are huge boosts to one's sense of well-being.
Maturity is not necessarily the same as wisdom. Maturity means one does not have to wear the latest fashion trend any longer; she can wear red lipstick to the grocery store if she wants to; and she can embrace every wrinkle or ounce of cellulite because she knows shes earned them.
Fulfillment comes with having done just about all the hard stuff life requires before getting old.
We have time to enjoy being alone or with carefully selected friends.
By now, we have a pretty good idea of what is important in life and can let go of what isn't.
We still care about staying healthy and living long enough to enjoy our great-grand children.
We no longer have to fit into an expected mold but can be free to express ourselves as we feel comfortable and appropriate for us.
We 60 and above aged women are a very blessed age group, I think. And, I love it!
There are a few things though that I think are worth thinking about regarding clothing for us wise, mature and fulfilled women.
The challenge, I think is simply finding wearable, modern clothes to fit my lifestyle, budget and figure.
As a matter of fact, practically any fashion trend can be adapted if you know some general guidelines.
Some Real Quick Tips:
- To keep current, dressing sexy doesn't mean you have to bare every body part.
- Show your sensuality with luxe fabrics (silk, leather, cashmere, fur) and rich colors (wine, chocolate, plum, champagne and midnight).
- Watch your handbag: it is usually a dead giveaway to your age - proportion to your size.
- Know that today you don't have to trade style for comfort and ease. Shop for wearable, updated shoes. Wear stretch fabrics whenever possible.
- Use accessories
to create maximum impact.Getting older and looking great while you're getting there can be a challenge but an exciting one.
Here some Don'ts:
- Be healthy but Don't get too skinny and don't gain too much weight!
- Don't wear baggy, shapeless clothes, but tunics are a great item for all shapes.
- Don't wear ditsy and fussy prints like tiny florals.
- Don't wear overdone, fussy styles or details (gold buttons, gold trim, etc.). They are terribly aging.
- Don't think you have to wear skirt suits. Pants are generally much more youthful.
- Don't shy away from all black.
- Don't expose your upper arms and neck: these are both tricky areas for most women over a certain age.
- Don't wear fussy, frilly evening attire. Go for tailored instead!
- Do think young. Be unpredictable.
- Do effect a natural look in beauty.
- And finally, Do follow the old adage: Aging is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
Every day is a gift so wrap it up and make it special!