Wednesday, June 7, 2023

A Look Back and Forward Hodgepodge

Welcome to this week's edition of the Wednesday Hodgepodge.


1.  Tell me something you remember (or if you're not there yet, something you look forward to) about being 35.

I was 35 in 1979; had two children aged 10 and 8 and there was never a dull moment.  The picture above was taken while on vacation to Glorieta, NM and an overnight camping stop in Palo Dura Canyon, Canyon, Texas.  We rode horses, saw the play "Texas", hiked and had a wonderful 2-week long trip. 1979 was a fun time in our lives with both kids busy with things they enjoyed doing, a lot of family and church activities, and before both kids got into their teens.

2.  Last time you 'burned the candle at both ends'?

That would have been pre-retirement when my job demanded long hours, endless reports and deadlines.  These days, I can regulate how my days are spent and projects are organized and planned in advance.  At 78, I understand that the whole candle is burning out but not from both ends.

3.  Are you someone with the 'gift of gab'?  Elaborate (which shouldn't be a problem if you answered yes teehee).

No, I do not have the 'gift of gab', and in fact, prefer to not gab at all.  I am friendly and will visit and share thoughts and opinions with friends, but this is not my natural bent.

4.  Do you request a special meal on your birthday, and if so tell us what that meal is?  Do want the same kind of cake year after year or will any flavor work?  Do you want cake at all?  Growing up were birthdays a big deal in your house?  Are they a big deal now?

I'm sure as children we celebrated birthdays, although I don't remember having big birthday parties.  These days birthdays are not a big deal and I do not have a special meal, cake or even any recognition.  We did however, celebrate Hubby's 80th and our 55th anniversary with family.  Who knows, maybe we'll have a cake next year for my 80th.

5.  'Age is just a number.'..agree or disagree?  Tell us why.

To some degree I do think that age is just a number, because I do not feel or think I look as old as I thought 78 year old women did a few years ago.  In my opinion, at that time, this number meant old and definitely not relevant to the current events at the time.  Looking back now however, I realize that those were the women I most admired and respected and they surely made a great contribution to my life.  Yes, age can only be a number as long as one remains active, healthy and involved.

6.  Insert your own random thought here.

We had great news last week when Reis proposed to our Savannah, Granddaughter #3.

The ring is exactly what she wanted - sapphire and diamonds. 
And the whole Day Family is celebrating.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

8 comments:

  1. I remember having attended a retreat to Glorieta back in the day with our church youth group. My only take-away was listening to the new Simon and Garfunkel song, Sound of Silence .... over and over. And over. (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love a wedding and their pictures are so pretty. I've been to Glorieta but it's been decades. My grandparents lived in Albuquerque and we went with them one summer. You definitely need a cake for your big birthday next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your "age 35" photo - it looks like you are having such fun - and your answer to the 'age is just a number' question. Very well said! How lovely about the happy news from your granddaughter! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your granddaughter and her future husband looks sooo happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your answers. Congrats on the engagement. There is a lady that comes in to where I work, and when I first started working there, I thought she was in her 70's and someone said she was 84, so she has to be 88 now and still looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats of the engagement. I, too am not a big talker. But I do love to blog...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading your answers and I do like some recognition on my birthday. Congratulations to Savannah and Reis. That is so exciting.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.