Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Ice and Snow Hodgepodge



I'm not likely to need this, but I wouldn't mind if I did.  Remembering our February visit to Northern Indiana this time last year.  This Southern gal loves the snow.


1.  The Wednesday Hodgepodge landing on Groundhog's Day sounds about right.  Besides the Hodgepodge what else lands on your calendar just once a week?  Is it as much fun as the hodgepodge-ha!?


The only reoccurring thing on my weekly calendar besides Sunday church happenings is my volunteering to work at the Prestonwood Pregnancy Center every Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.  It's interesting that this and the Hodgepodge fall on the same day each the week.


Is it fun?  No, I wouldn't not call it fun at all, although I do enjoy my time there very much.  The objective of the Hodgepodge is to have fun, but my objective at the center is to greet ladies who are often in a difficult situation and minister to them in whatever way possible.  That's enjoyment and a blessing.


2.  The Winter Olympics begin on Friday, surrounding by much controversy.  Will you be watching?  Why or why not?  Have you ever been to China?


I will not be watching during the day for sure, and it is not likely we will be glued to the events at night either.  Only a few of the winter events interest us, and I dare say we will have any idea when they occur.  No, I have never been to China, but my husband has.

No frills for the US Team's clothing this year, compared to the more trendy style of the Czech Republic.


3.  Something in your life lately that has felt a bit like an 'olympic event'?


We decided to dedicate ourselves to a new diet a week or so ago.  It is a combination of Keto and Carnivore, where we eat a lot of meat, a few select veggies, no carbs, fruit, grain, or sugar.  We are doing well on it so far since we were already limiting carbs and sugar; however, meal planning is always a struggle.  So yes, coming up with the right combination of foods is like an 'olympic event'.


4.  Do you like fondue?


We used to love it, but I honestly cannot think of a time I have eaten fondue since using a vintage pot like this in the '70's.  We had a couple and used them quite often for entertaining, and occasionally for just the family.


Sweet or savory?

Definitely sweet!


Restaurant only or do you own your own fondue set?

I got rid of the set ages ago, and haven't eaten it out ever, I guess.


5.  Give us five short (203 word) phrases to sum up your January.


1.  Started a new Bible Study

2.  Met and entertained new friends

3.  Missing chocolate-covered almonds and popcorn

4.  Organized tax records

5.  Painted two new canvases


6.  Insert your own random thought here.


We are preparing for our first Texas winter storm - Landon - to come on Wednesday night as is most of the country, but anytime layers of ice are predicted for the Dallas/Ft Worth area, it brings concern.  Because we have so many above ground freeways, and so little means of preparing them for ice, everything necessarily shuts down.  It looks like a heavy ice event and several days of below freezing temps.  Thankfully, it won't be anything like the storm we had last year.


One of my favorite memories from our Indiana trip last year was taking a road trip into Michigan with this precious Granddaughter #3.



Stay warm and safe!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, Keto can be a slog but once you find foods you like and don't get sick of, it becomes better. Been doing it a long time now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so good that you volunteer at a pregnancy center. I don't imagine that it's fun in any sense of the word, but what a blessing that you get to meet and encourage ladies who surely need your ministry at a vulnerable time in their lives. God bless you for your ministry to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you are a rich blessing to those coming in to the pregnancy center. What a great service! Ugh, know the menu stuff is a pain but I'm sure you are doing a great job with it. Love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Libby, Fun snow photos from your time in the North! My brother told us about the change of weather overnight in Texas. He lives in Dallas. Stay safe. Sounds like you are being very disciplined with your eating right now. Hope you get the results you want! Happy February to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that photo of you. You're always dressed so sharp! That is so nice of you to minister to those women. Best of luck with your diet plan. Me too, I can't think of the last time I had fondue. I hope weather wasn't too bad. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I can see how that plan might feel like an Olympic event. We have been doing an eating plan mostly for my hubby, but really it entailed me doing all the prep, etc. Ugghh! My daughter and son in law were living in Fort Worth when the storm hit last February..it was right after my granddaughter was born and they had to go stay with his brother for several days until the power came back on in their apartment. They are back in Washington now. Yay. LOVE the photo of the church.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.