Wednesday, February 16, 2022

All Kinds of Nuts on the Hodgepodge

Happy Wednesday!  Can you believe we are already half way through the month of February?  Where is the time going?  Speaking of that, we will not have a Hodgepodge next week as our hostess, Joyce, From This Side of the Pond will be playing with grandsons instead of keeping us entertained with questions.  Good for her!

1.  February 16th is National Almond day...are you a fan?  If so what's your favorite food item or recipe that contains almonds?

Oh yes, I am a huge almond fan, and there are so many ways I love to eat them.

Favorite?

I could totally eat my weight in these; however, almonds covered in chocolate are off my diet.  My now favorite is to mix a small amount of roasted almonds with a few pecans as a snack.  Not quite the same.

Another favorite way is to sauté sliced almonds and raisins in butter and mix with French Cut Green Beans.  Makes a delicious side for most any meal. 

2.  Something you are currently 'nuts' about?

Because our new way of eating is a crossover Keto and Carnivore diet, we are eating a lot of meat, eggs, bacon, cheese, veggies like avocado, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, etc., I keep at least one box of delicious Angus Beef Burgers on hand.

Add one of these to a baked Avocado boat, topped with pimento cheese for a delicious meal, or topped with a slice(s) of bacon and served with spicy cauliflower rice.  There are unlimited options.  Being pre-cooked makes a meal quick and tasty.

3.  Something currently driving you 'nuts'?

Several months ago, when trying to get in 5 miles a day of walking, I irritated my left hip flexor or I-T Band.  I have gone through some physical therapy, exercises, stretches, to no avail.  Right now, the pain and frustration is driving me nuts for sure.

4.  Something you recently bought for 'peanuts'?

Does anything cost only 'peanuts' these days?

5.  Share a favorite quote uttered by an U. S. President.

Since our topic seems to be 'nuts' today, I'll use some of the nutty quotes from our current nutty President.  He is open fodder when he opens his mouth.

"Now we have over 120 million dead from COVID."

"We hold these truths to be self-evident: all men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing."


"You know, there’s a uh, during World War II, uh, you know, where Roosevelt came up with a thing uh, that uh, you know, was totally different than a, than the, the, it’s called, he called it the, you know, the World War II, he had the war – the War Production Board."


"But we cannot let this – we’ve never allowed any crisis from a Civil War straight through to a pandemic in ‘17, all the way around, ’16, we have never, never let our democracy take second fiddle, we can both have a democracy and elections and at the same time protect the public health."


Or we could go with his entire speech on January 19, 2022.


6.  Insert your own random thought here.


Our big, handsome grandson will be having a birthday on the 28th of February.  From all appearances, his and McKenna's baby boy will be one hefty young man when he gets here in July.  We are so proud of the fine man, husband and soon-to-be dad he is.  Happy 27th Birthday, Jackson.  We love you to the moon and back!


Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

10 comments:

  1. What a great picture of Jackson and McKenna! And, it is so disheartening when Biden opens his mouth. Pitiful! Sounds like you and Dick have this whole diet thing figured out but sure requires commitment. Good for y'all! Have a great rest of Feb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I feel like he chocolate almonds are not THAT bad on Keto, since they don't spike insulin very much. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had the same thought on buying things for peanuts! I forgot about chocolate covered almonds- definitely a favorite of mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Angus burgers look great. I think I've seen something similar at Costco.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know those beef patties are good. I need some quick ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son-in-law has a birthday on the 27th and is also a soon to be dad to a baby boy. He's a few years older than your grandson, but also a wonderful man, husband, and I'm sure will be a great father too. So glad for the happy news amidst a world in turmoil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to try those beef patties; I have seen them but too skeptical to purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, those almonds are dangerous. Ha! Our naturapath is talking to my hubby about trying the carnivore diet...hmmm. I better start researching. but he'll have to leave out most beef as he doesn't digest it well. Hope your pains ease up..hip flexor pain is no fun. Uggh. I had to roll my eyes at those quotes..lol. and yet no one who voted for him is willing to admit maybe that wasn't a great idea. What a great photo of your grandson and wife.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I swear I left a message yesterday. My husband likes their chocolate covered raisins. Also those burgers are very good but our Costco doesn't have them anymore. So sorry to hear about your left hip. I love your answer for #5. Happy Birthday to Jackson!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.