Wednesday, October 13, 2021

American Memory Hodgepodge

Thank you, Joyce for coming up such thought provoking and interesting questions each week.

1.  What obligation do you believe you have to your country?

What an appropriate question as the following quotes, and others were in my husband's Wednesday morning reading from "Harvest of Gold."

Jesus answered that question with this response:  "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesars and unto God the things that are God's."

William Tyler Page wrote the following in 1917, that I believe every American should have imprinted in their heart if not on their forehead:

THE AMERICAN'S CREED

"I believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic, a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect Union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies."
Adopted by the House of Representatives April 3, 1918

I think at this point in our country we should add to the end, "both foreign and domestic!"

2.  October 12 is National Farmers Day?  Do you know any farmers?  What do they farm/grow/raise?  Are there any farm stands where you live?  Do you shop there?


I have a dear friend who lives in Morehouse Parish whose two sons are carrying on the legacy of their father and grandfather.  She no doubt also has a grandchild or two who are likely to be 4th generation Stutts Farmers.  They successfully grow cotton, corn, beans, beautiful children, and who knows what else.

One weekend a month this summer, there was a large Farmer's Market on the parking lot of a nearby Mall, but I didn't shop there.


Some of you may find it of interest that my adjoining neighbor edited the long ago "Progressive Farmer Magazine" for 27 years.  You can read about Del Detering and that magazine that was in every rural household, at the following link.


3.  What's a skill you think everyone should have?  Tell us why?

Knowing when to shut one's mouth and just listen.
No explanation required.

4.  Favorite thing you've purchased this year?

Since we made a major move this year and we found it necessary to purchase a few things, finding a favorite isn't coming easily.  It could be the most comfortable sofa and chair, or the toile throw pillow, or the pumpkin candle my granddaughter made.  I think though, that my favorite purchase is yet to be bought.  Our oldest granddaughter and husband will be blessing us with our first great-grandchild in April 2022.  So there will be at least one big purchase before then.


5.  What's your favorite place to visit in the fall?

It goes without saying my favorite place in the fall is wherever it is cool/cold and there are plenty of colorful fall leaves.  But, yesterday, although it was neither cool nor cold and not a tree in sight, this was my favorite place to be.


A local nursery was totally bedecked with the most beautiful pumpkins.

See random thought below.

6.  Insert your own random thought here.

My Facebook memories for Oct. 12 were so much fun to re-live and they also reveal some of my most favorite places to be in the fall.  So go with me back in time.

2020:  Having our grandson's wedding in a cornfield on an Amish farm in Northern Indiana on Oct 10th.


Taking a road trip southward from there through Ohio, the Virginias', Kentucky, Tennessee, North and South Carolina, and homeward.


2019:  The Fall outdoor wedding of a granddaughter in Fayetteville, AR on Oct 11th.


Spending the following week in Bentonville, AR and surrounding area.


2018:  Sharing Dick's 60th HS reunion at an old country homestead in Columbia, LA, with old friends.


2013:  On Oct 12, grandson Jackson began his D1 colligate football career as a starter at left guard #65 for the Western Michigan Broncos.


2012:  Being told that my daughter's good friend, Holly, who was in Uganda, had just received word of official guardianship of two little "chocolate-skinned" (her words) babies.  But there was still so much paper-work to go through before flying back to Dallas with them by herself.


P.S.  They have thrived!

2011:  Having retired in May, Oct 12 found me sitting in my favorite spot, my back porch, enjoying a cappuccino and watching it rain.  Isn't that was retirement looks like?


2010:  Sitting at an outdoor table at Starbucks with my Hubby, savoring my first cup of hot Caramel Spice of the fall.

A fallen leaf is nothing more
than a summer's wave good bye.


Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

9 comments:

  1. YES to that skill! These days, people are very quick to talk but not listen, as if shouting over anyone ever got people anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Libby, this is a beautiful post in every way. I love your thoughts and sharing those things about America. Your memories are wonderful. You are truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Libby, I enjoyed your answers to the questions. Congratulations on your first great grandchild! That's very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your first great-grandchild! Loved your answer to #1.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on welcoming and spoiling another generation. I love that my grandsons know their great grandmothers. They just surprised hubs mom with a drop in visit on their way back home this weekend and she was thrilled. Yes to your post on America. 'May God shed his grace on thee...'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post. How neat when family's carry on traditions. Congrats on becoming a great grandma. That's exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your first great grandchild, we have 7, and they are so precious!
    Your memories are precious too! Thank you for sharing.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that pumpkin patch picture is just delightful! I love those non-traditional looking pumpkins with all the different colors! Congratulations on your first great, grandchild- how exciting!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.