Monday, August 16, 2021

Art, Artists and More Art



Another August Monday morning post on my goings-on.

When asked recently what was something I planned to do, I answered with seeing the Southwest Art Gallery in Dallas.  Well, I made it happen this past week.  Not once, but twice!



On Thursday, while in the area, I decided to check out the gallery.  I knew they were getting ready for a weekend art festival and true enough found things in a bit of disarray.  Paintings worth thousands of dollars were propped up against the walls and placed haphazardly around.  Some were in the process of being hung.







Every one was so friendly and welcomed my picture taking.  I knew that I would definitely be coming back on Sunday afternoon for the festival and art showing.  I particularly wanted to meet some of the artists.  And that I did.


Of course, my eye was drawn to the abstracts.


This friendly New Orleans native, Tony Saladino was so much fun to visit with.  He answered all of my questions and we even had a good visit remembering Houma, La. where we both had lived in 1967 and 1968.


The following pieces of art caught my eye when I first saw them and knew I wanted to meet their creator.  They are more in my style of painting.



Mark Whitmarsh is quite a character and is known as the "Texas Contemporary Art Pioneer."  The painting at the top is selling for $15,000 if interested.


I asked him about the piece where he is standing in this picture as it was wrapped in cellophane.  He told me it had been sold and was done in memory of a good friend who died several years ago because of alcoholism.  He said his friend had lived in a house with a large balcony overlooking the most beautiful spot in Colorado and yet that and all the treatment he had gone through had not been enough to defeat the demon of alcohol.  Therefore, there is both beauty and sadness in the painting.  It was titled "Water's Edge."

While I was taking his picture a couple standing near by informed us that it was their painting.  They had purchased it the day before and came back to meet the artist.  There is no telling what they paid for it because all his other works were selling for several thousands of dollars.  When I finally left the gallery, people were still taking pictures of the three of them with the painting.
 

There was not just paintings on exhibit.



I had seen this work on my first visit and found it so fascinating, so was thrilled when the artist was there on Sunday.
 

Paul Walden is such an interesting man and I probably spent the most amount of time with him.  He began painting classics and is a restorer of classic art work.  He began working at the gallery 52 years ago, and I realized he was the one hanging the art work a few days before.

His process is the most fascinating of all the artists I met because it is so different from the others and has been developed over time.  It is more of a removal after over applying.  He said an art piece is only complete when the eye of the beholder has found satisfaction and joy from seeing it.  I love that!



Seeing the works of George Kovach was my initial reason for wanting to visit the gallery.  I had found his section on my first visit and marveled at the detail of his West Texas scenes.


For some reason, this one caught and held my attention and I'm really not a western type person.  I guess, according to Paul's philosophy, the painting had become complete.  By the way, did you find the calf?


I found the real George Kovach painting a seascape in his little niche.  I had a good visit with both him and his wife.  His work is amazing.



Robert Fobear was painting a still life of two eagles when I saw him.  His wildlife paintings are almost like photographs with so much detail.  He is quoted as having said "I see God’s creativity in nature with a great sense of clarity and appreciation" and he desires that the viewer sees into the realm as well.


This one reminded me of my dear sweet friend Vicki who shares my love for Cardinals, so I sent her a picture.


Lynwood Bennett and his wife live in the Texas Hill Country and all of his amazing paintings are of that area.  You can almost hear the water rushing or flowing in each of them.


He was the sweetest man and I found him to be so delightful.  By the way, the small painting he had completed just earlier had already sold for $3,000.


I found Roberto Ugalde in a little corner painting a grove of Aspen.  I asked when was the last time he had actually seen an Aspen.  He laughed and said he spends a lot of time in Colorado and takes a lot of pictures.  So when he sees a photograph that speaks to him, he paints it.  His painting technique is very unique.


I couldn't believe the small pallets the artists there were using.  I obviously go overboard with mine which is probably a sign of a true amateur.

As I said, there is much more art in this one-of-a-kind art gallery than just paintings.

This room contains a large collection of some of gorgeous glass work.






The gallery features a different artist each month, so I will definitely be making at least a monthly trip down into Dallas and can't wait for next year's Annual Art Festival.

And should you be looking for an original piece of art, let me know and I'll be happy to shop for you.

In the meantime, I am inspired and will be getting out my easel in the days ahead.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

2 comments:

  1. I love a pretty piece of art for sure but going to an art gallery, not so much. But, it would be fun to actually meet the artist and would likely change the whole experience. I really love the glass works. Know it was a fun outing for you. Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in awe of everything you saw. Loved looking at all of your photos and the stories you shared. I could certainly use a visit like that!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.