Wednesday, May 26, 2021

A Memorial Day Hodgepodge

We have Memorial Day questions on the Hodgepodge today.  Thank you Joyce for keeping us inspired to blog.


DID YOU KNOW THIS: ? Memorial Day was started by former slaves on May, 1, 1865 in Charleston, SC to honor 257 dead Union Soldiers who had been buried in a mass grave in a Confederate prison camp. They dug up the bodies and worked for 2 weeks to give them a proper burial as gratitude for fighting for their freedom. They then held a parade of 10,000 people led by 2,800 Black children where they marched, sang and celebrated.

No, this wasn't taught in any of my history classes. We were taught that the first Memorial Day was May 28 or 30, 1868 when flags were draped over the graves of Union and Confederate soldier's graves in Arlington Cemetery.



1. We're approaching Memorial Day Weekend in the US of A...will you mark this in some way? If so tell us how. According to a list found here some things you might do in honor of Memorial Day would be-shop in a Veteran owned business, learn to play a patriotic song, watch the Memorial Day concert, take a virtual tour of the White House, write a letter to a soldier or a soldier's family, fly a flag, attend a Memorial Day parade, donate flowers for a soldier's grave, put together a care package for a soldier, and take a moment of silence at 3 PM (the National Moment of Remembrance)....of the ideas mentioned are there any you will try? 


We do not at this point have any plans for Memorial Day Weekend that will relate to that specific holiday and are not likely to do any of the suggested activities.  We will go to church on Sunday, and I feel sure there will be some kind of patriotic emphasis.


2. What's something recently that made you 'come to attention'?


On my early Monday morning walk, I rounded a curve to see water pouring down the street from the direction of my house.  The source was our neighbor's yard where evidently a water valve had burst in two places and water was gushing from both.  I quickly called the HOA president who is our neighbor and it took a village to get the water main cut off.  Thinking it might be coming from our house definitely made me 'come to attention.'


3. In what area of your life do you need to 'soldier on'? 


Giving myself permission to do nothing if doing nothing seems to suit me at the time.  I am still having to adjust to not having a lot to keep my mind and body occupied.  Never one to watch TV during the day, I am finding that an episode of "Heartland" is alright to watch once or twice a day if I so choose.  It helps break up the monotony some days.  I have never allowed myself to say I'm bored.  Until now!


4. As a long weekend approaches and summer draws near, what's a favorite food from your childhood you think about adding to the menu?



 Who still has one of these?  We sure don't but wouldn't a big bucket of homemade ice cream be a wonderful idea?


5. Your favorite patriotic movie?


I do not have a favorite, but there are some great oldies such "Bridge Over the River Kwai."  I did like more recent ones such as "Lincoln" and "Independence Day."  


6. Insert your own random thought here.


Granddaughter #2 celebrated her 25th birthday this past Sunday.  She and her older sister Chandler, indulged their grandmother and let me buy brunch for them.  We went to No 1 Rise in Dallas, and ate our weight in soufflés.  Rise is such an appropriate name for a soufflé restaurant, isn't it. 


We actually had five different kinds, but the Spinach was my favorite.



Cassidy even had her own special birthday napkin and the near by old Inwood Theater actually had "Happy Birthday You" on its billboard.  Is she not the cutest 25 year old?





Any time you are in the Highland Park area of Dallas, I recommend stopping by Rise.


Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

9 comments:

  1. We do have an ice cream freezer but it is not a hand crank one and we usually make homemade ice cream 2 or 3 times each summer. We use a cooked custard recipe of my mother-in-law's and it is yummy. Your granddaughters are so lovely and I know that you loved spending time with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy (belated) birthday to your beautiful granddaughter. I get bored so easily and not much of a tv person and so it is just me. Have a great rest of the day/week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to go out with your granddaughters. My daughter and her hubby just moved back to washington from Fort Worth. We visited twice before they moved back. They were only there about 8 months. My hubby's family had a hand crank ice cream maker. We had an electric one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a problem with doing nothing also. It's like I cannot relax and chill if I know stuff needs to get done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A souffle restaurant sounds so intriguing. I just ordered an ice cream freezer. It's not the old fashioned kind, but I think it will still be fun, especially for the grands when they're here. Hubs is pretty excited about it too : ) I remember growing up my sister and I taking turns sitting on the ice cream freezer while my dad and my brother took turns cranking. It was a lot of work but worth the reward!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Libby,

    I would love to have a bucket of home-made ice cream. Yum! We are huge ice cream fans here. We don't have an ice cream machine so I do make no-churn styles using nothing but my stand mixer, the ingredients, and my freezer. I'm tweaking a recent recipe to try this weekend. I hope to share my version once I get it figured out. :) It almost seems like we had souffle once but if we did it was a very long time ago and I can't remember if I liked it but spinach in anything would be a good pick for me. :) Have a nice holiday weekend, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'd be exactly like you, I've never been one to sit or watch TV during the day. I did learn a little last year during the pandemic and indulged in a few Netflix series but, enough of that. I'm sure you will find things to fill your time that you will enjoy shortly. How wonderful to have such fun things to do and places to go all around you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to keep busy until things are done in the house.
    Your granddaughter is beautiful. Looks like she had a good birthday.
    Hope you and yours enjoy Memorial Day.

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad it wasn't your house but when those valve break it is a mess. I like your answer for soldier on. I've never had home made ice cream. Looks like a fun birthday celebration.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.