Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Springtime Memories on the Hodgepodge

Another week to join the Hodgepodge with Joyce


All the World's Alive Again
The rabbit hops its gentle step
The lark sings lyric songs
All the world's alive again
Spring rights the winter wrongs


1. What are some memories you associate with spring?



My memories as a child are particularly about
 Easter and wearing new shoes and dresses that our mother had made.  In the picture above, she had even embroidered roses on our white socks to match the ones in the scallops of the dress.  I also have some not-so-good memories of Easter Egg Hunts which I never enjoyed.

As a young person, spring brought all things outdoors such as softball and track, both of which I looked forward to doing.  


As a mother, it meant our family would be involved with soccer, and baseball and all outdoor activities the kids participated in.  It meant flowers growing and blooming and brightening the yard.  Spring always meant Easter Cantatas at church, dying eggs, and choir picnics, and so many activities that we all enjoyed doing together.


As a grandmother, there are wonderful memories of Spring Follies, orchestra concerts, lots and lots of soccer and rugby and not always in good weather.


A special spring memory was when all our family was together.  These times have been too few.


Most of all spring reminds me of new birth and specifically the birth of our daughter in April, 1971.

2. April showers bring May flowers...was that saying proven true where you live? Snapdragons, anemones, carnations, lilacs, sweet peas, tulips, lily of the valley, orchids, roses, gardenias...which one on that list is your favorite May bloom? 


Since this is our first spring in North Central Texas, we really aren't sure what to expect weather wise.  Evidently, this has been a rainy month so far for this area and even after the harsh winter storm, flowers are blooming and are brilliant in color.  We are expecting more showers this week.


Tulips are more late March and early April in this part of the country, so those are out. Some of the others are not typical for our hot temperatures, but gardenias will always be a favorite.




3. What are your top three distractions and how do you deal with them? 


My own self doubts about certain things, iPad, wanting to be outside

Let's just say I'm working on the first two and try to do the third as often as possible.


4. Do you eat beef? In the course of a week, how often is beef on the menu? A hamburger, steak, prime rib, or a roast beef dinner...which beef entree would you choose and yes you have to choose. Unless you're a vegan, and then you may pass. 


Yes, I eat beef, and we have it on the menu once or twice during the week in forms of meat loaf, patties, and an occasional roast beef.  A medium cooked filet mignon is always my first entrée choice.


5. In what way were you creative during the month of April?


Creativity has really been on the bottom of my list this month for some reason.  I have had a hard time getting motivated to do much of anything.  I suppose, picking out and planting flowers in our little yard took some thinking and some work.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

This week I gifted myself with a special facial treatment.


My daughter told me about it and I decided to try.  The HydraFacial process cleans, exfoliates and deeply cleanses the pores and hydrates.  There are actually five steps and it left my skin feeling so soft and clean.

Thankfully, my skin was found to be in excellent condition and there were no red flags - other than it's getting old. This treatment is definitely something I will do again.



This weekend, we will be going to north Arkansas for an outdoor wedding.  Our nephew built this gorgeous "cabin" overlooking the Arkansas River where it will take place.  It should be glorious and I look forward to sharing it with you next week.


Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your memories and adorable pictures.
    Enjoy the outdoor wedding and the cabin is lovely. Is your
    nephew an architect and builder?
    Have a wonderful day!

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, he happens to have been voted the #1 Cosmetic Dentist in Little Rock, but he did design and draw to scale the plans for the builders.

      Delete
  2. I had a child born in April too, my youngest son. He just turned 6.

    I am a Texas girl, I've lived here my whole life.

    The cabin looks like a pretty location for a wedding.
    Nice to visit you today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your childhood memory photos of Spring are so similar to mine. I just didn't take time to look for them this morning. That cabin is amazing and I'm sure the wedding will also be stunning in such a great setting. Texas in the Spring can be soft or harsh, as in TOO HOT TOO EARLY!! Hopefully, you can spend some time outside enjoying those beautiful flowers in your new garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a gorgeous cabin! Please take lots of photos and share. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous location for a wedding! I hope they get a sky like that!! This is the first yard we've had gardenias and the scent is intoxicating. They are beautiful and bloom long too so we are loving them. Safe travels and enjoy the wedding festivities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never indulged in a facial, but they sound mighty tempting! I, too, remember the days of Easter dresses, anklets and little white gloves. Precious photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of Spring memories for you. I always think of Easter Sunday. Gardenias smell so beautiful. I am definitely pushing myself outside more each day and walking away from the TV, Phone and Computer. Yes I love filet mignon too. Motivation is not easy these days. We are going to visit Amber and Dylan next week, when we get home I'm excited to get our garden started. I could definitely use a facial treatment. Have a safe trip and a wonderful time at the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to hear about the wedding next week. Love the pictures and I should get a facial, just haven't ever wanted to fool with it. Have a great time in Ark.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! That cabin! Love it! And what a great spot for a wedding.
    It is fun to discover all the new plants in a new location.
    I heartily endorse your getting outside more. I need more hikes!
    Enjoy the rest of April!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Libby, how sweet to see all your Springtime memories. Love that black and white and the scallops on your dresses! Our mom sewed all our Easter and Christmas dresses. So many of your Spring memories were like ours. That wedding sounds like fun. Looking forward to seeing some photos and hearing about it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.