Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Wednesday Hodgepodge

After missing the Hodgepodge last week, it is good to join in again today.  Hope you will enjoy catching up and seeing what questions our host has given us this week.  Thank you Joyce.


1. What is something you currently find 'taxing'? 


Since our move, I have not gotten back to putting all our tax info for 2021 into the Excel sheet that I maintain.  At this point it is not only a 'taxing' thought but a most daunting prospect, not to mention exhaustively time consuming.  Can you just imagine the receipts and expenses we have incurred during a move?


2. I've seen this question asked in various forms on several social media sites...you can only keep three-

coffee, jewelry, tacos, wine, books, dogs, chocolate, Netflix, make-up, leggings, cheese, cats

Which three do you keep and how easy or hard was it for you to decide? 


It was a pretty easy task because I have learned to live with less.  My three are:

Make-up, leggings & cheese

I will admit I could have added jewelry simply because without earrings, I could pass as a male with my short hair (reason for make-up).  I could have also added Netflix because that is about all we watch on TV.  Of course, chocolate makes any ordinary day a bit more interesting.


3. Tell us something you know or have learned about forgiveness? 


It is amazing grace to receive and without that grace, sometimes difficult to give.


4. What's something you'd recommend that is often overlooked and under appreciated? 


Encouragement!

I had already considered this word; however, before I could formulate my thoughts, I received a phone call from a lady I had worked with back many years ago.  Linda tracked me down just to tell me she is retiring and to thank me for the support and encouragement I had given her when she started her first job with us.  How dear, after all these years to be remembered for having been an encourager to someone who needed it.


5. Give us a favorite word that starts with letter K and tell us why this is the one you chose. 


Kangaroo


I chose this because the Kangaroo Paws plant is a recent addition to our little garden.  It is such an interesting plant and is supposed to attract hummingbirds and butterflies.


Don't you just love the paw-like flowers?


6. Insert your own random thought here. 


You may recall that the Texas winter storm of 2021 created quite a havoc with the landscaping.


This is what our street view was after having all the dead shrubs removed.


After a sizeable investment of both time and money, this is a portion of the landscaping that should last longer than we do, regardless of the weather.  Have I mentioned that our house sits on a bedrock of sandstone and there is only 3 to 12 inches of soil on top?  This does not make planting an easy task.


We inherited what I lovingly call a "Mystery Garden" because we are still discovering what wonderful floral gems were planted in our little flower bed by the previous owner.

These irises have brought so much joy and pleasure and we still have one more variety to go.  It is full of buds and it appears it will be a deep purple.

I have also added hosta, lambs ear, foxtail fern, butterfly bush, lavender plant, and lots of red pentas and some coleus in pots.  Not to mention my small herb garden in a pot.  And of course the Kangaroo Paws.

Yes, it is becoming home and we love sharing it.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

12 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your iris. My mom had an enormous bed of iris in one corner of our yard when I was growing up. They grew as tall as me and I wish I had her green thumb. The kangaroo plant is pretty. I don't know if I've ever seen one, but we have hummingbirds so maybe will add one this year. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those kangaroo paws! I didn't know those were a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just last night, our main discussion with our young adult Bible study group was about Barnabas -- encourager! Your flowers are gorgeous and the Kangaroo paws plant is new to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful flowers and I really love the Kangaroo paws. I've never heard of them, but they are beautiful. Hope you get lots of hummingbirds because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never saw kangaroo paws before, how neat! Looks like you are making a beautiful new home there :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Libby, mystery gardens are so much fun when things pop up as little surprises. I love your answer to #4, Encouragement is such a wonderful gift to receive. Those Kangaroo paws are new to me. That is a very cool plant. Great pop of color in the garden. Glad you got those shrubs cleared and have that area nicely replanted. Hope the rest of your week is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your haircut, Libby. And ya, I totally get what you mean about make-up. At summer camp little theater productions I was always cast as a boy because of my short hair. ☹

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never, ever heard of Kangaroo Paws but they are so pretty and your iris' are just gorgeous.I'm so glad that y'all are settling in and loving your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm impressed that you do that. I have no clue how to do taxes! We do Netflix a lot too. I do enjoy a dark piece of chocolate from time to time. Great K word. We had one of those plants in our yard a few years back. You have some lovely plants planted. It will be nice to see them grow and fill in the area. I have loved your photos on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had a mystery garden in Mass too. I loved watching all the beautiful plants and flowers pop up. Have a wonderful weekend, dear Libby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like a lot of back breaking yard work, but I LOVE irises! I am looking out my window at a snow storm today so your flowers were quite cheerful! I enjoyed your answers as always.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.