Saturday, March 21, 2020

Saturday 9: Symphonies




I haven't participated in the Saturday 9 Link-up in quite a while, but thought this would be a fun topic to comment on.

Complete Symphonies (2019)


This week we're classing up the joint with a well-received box-set by the Danish Chamber Orchestra. You can listen to the orchestra here.

1) Beethoven is one of classical music's best known composers. Do you often listen to classical music?



Not often but I do enjoy listening once in a while.  We certainly enjoyed our membership with the Shreveport Symphony Orchestra, and experiencing classical music personally would be my favorite way of listening.

2) Though a musical genius, Beethoven never learned to multiply or divide. When faced with a simple arithmetic problem, do you do it in your head? Or do you rely on the calculator in your phone or on your computer?

Math was never a favorite subject and think it's because I simply have a mental block or lack of mathematical mental capacity; therefore, I look for a calculator when faced with most arithmetic problems other than the really simple stuff.

 3) Beethoven bathed often, which was considered "quirky" for a man of his time. (Understandable, since you had to heat the water, haul it to the tub, and then empty the tub bucket by bucket when you were done.) Do you bathe in the morning or in the evening?

I do both depending on my schedule, but normally in the morning.


4) Adam Fischer conducts the Danish Chamber Orchestra for this 5-disc set. He began his musical career young, when he sang in the children's choir of Budapest's National Opera House. Have you ever sung in a choir or chorus?


I started singing at a very young age and mostly did solos because our churches and schools were too small for youth or children's choirs.  I sang in ensembles, trios, and duets while in high school.  Once in college, I sang in the state-wide Baptist Student Union choir that was a joy.  Since marrying a Minister of Music, I sang in church choirs, ensembles and did solos.


5) Mr. Fischer was awarded the Gold Medal of Arts from the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC. Tell us about a prize or award you have received. (Yes, that ribbon you earned for penmanship in second grade counts.)


There were several awards and titles while in high school and college.  I received two state-wide "Outstanding" employee awards that I'm proud of.  I also received a blue ribbon many years ago at the Parish Fair for my cornbread.  I was pretty proud of that one.

6) The Danish Chamber Orchestra is beloved in Denmark. When, in 2014, the Danish Broadcasting Company announced it would no longer fund the Orchestra, citizens began a crowdfunding campaign and raised more than $1,000,000 to keep the music playing. Have you ever contributed to a crowdfunding platform, like GoFundMe, Kickstarter or FundRazr?

We recently contributed to a GoFundMe to assist college friends of my husband who are currently undergoing a very serious health crisis.


7) The Orchestra's "home" is the Royal Danish Conservatory of Music in Copenhagen. Where were you when you last heard music played live?

My church

8) In 2019, when this boxed set was released, China became the first nation to land a spacecraft on the far side of the moon. Are you fascinated by stories about space?

No, not really.

9) Random question: Tell us about your week. These are extraordinary times, and it might feel good to share.

These are indeed extraordinary times, but thankfully, our life and that of our family and closest friends has remained rather normal.  That is except for the fact that our church services are now live streamed only.  My husband will be doing the Sunday School lesson on live stream from our home this week and for the near future.

Hubby's realty office is closed, so he has been at home every day this week. Not a bad thing, just different.

I invited four neighbor ladies over for a morning brunch on Thursday and a couple had to cancel due to a health issue.  Thankfully it isn't the virus, but we are now so conscious of exposing ourselves and others to anything that might be the least bit contagious.

All in all, our week has been pretty normal and we are thankful.  Of course being retired, our life-style was already rather slow and down-key.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, reading this reminded me that I got a blue ribbon at the local fair for my African Violets a few years back. :o)) Enjoyable answers!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.